Best brand Timothy Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oxbow Timothy hay purchased on Amazon has been my source of Timothy hay but Oxbow recently changed their packaging. I have two 90 oz bags of hay that are dry and brittle that the buns will not eat. I need a new brand that can be purchased on Amazon. Again…THAT CAN BE PURCHASED ON AMAZON.
thanks for your help!

Standlee hay quality can vary. I've had bales full of weeds, dirt, brown hay. Or you could end up with a good bale, if you want to take a chance. I don't know, ,maybe the small pet boxes they sell are selected for better quality than the full size compressed bales. I have good bales now, but I got them at the farm store where I could check them first before taking them home.

If you want hay that is more likely to be good quality, Small Pet Select has good quality hay. I've never bought it but I know of others on here that have and like the quality, and their rabbits like it. Second cut timothy is usually a mix of leaf and stem, and most often the cut sold and fed to rabbits.

Standlee hay quality can vary. I've had bales full of weeds, dirt, brown hay. Or you could end up with a good bale, if you want to take a chance. I don't know, ,maybe the small pet boxes they sell are selected for better quality than the full size compressed bales. I have good bales now, but I got them at the farm store where I could check them first before taking them home.

If you want hay that is more likely to be good quality, Small Pet Select has good quality hay. I've never bought it but I know of others on here that have and like the quality, and their rabbits like it. Second cut timothy is usually a mix of leaf and stem, and most often the cut sold and fed to rabbits.

The part about standlee is true, its a hit or miss also for me.

Small Pet Select is good also! It was the first really green/fresh hay my bunnies tried and they loved it! I only suggested Rabbit Hole Hay 'cause when I made them choose between sps and rhh, they picked rabbit hole hay 😆

Small Pet Select is good also! It was the first really green/fresh hay my bunnies tried and they loved it! I only suggested Rabbit Hole Hay 'cause when I made them choose between sps and rhh, they picked rabbit hole hay 😆

Yeah, I'll bring home beautiful looking hay, put it in with my rabbits and they'll take a sniff or bite, then stop and look like 'we're not eating this, where's the good hay'. They sure can be picky for such tiny little fur balls :p

I go to the Standlee store nearby and since their giant bales of hay cannot be placed into boxes, it's easier to see the hay quality. Plus it lasts a good long while for the price. But that's only because I have one of their stores nearby.

We buy our hay from Small Pet Select. Our buns like it.

Are you sure you didn't get a bad bag or two? I'm a new bunny owner (going on two weeks). I've bought a bag of Timothy and Orchard hay each. Both bags were green and nice.

I agree Oxbow is VERY expensive for a small amount.
I guess I disagree. But my bunny is a small Mini Satin and doesn't eat a ton. Don't get me wrong; she eats and loves doing so, but her size, in context, means she consumes little. Having had dogs and cats and knowing how much they eat, especially dogs, puts a small rabbit into context. They cost a lot more to feed than a rabbit, even a rabbit on Oxbow.

Oxbow is a great brand. But a tad more expensive than small pet select.
I agree Oxbow is VERY expensive for a small amount.

If you buy the small bags of oxbow, it's expensive, but if you buy in bulk it's much more affordable. If you check the prices, it's comparable or slightly cheaper than sps. It's always going to be cheaper to get the baled horse hay like standlee, just less of a guarantee with the quality unless you can pick it out yourself.

Oxbow Timothy hay purchased on Amazon has been my source of Timothy hay but Oxbow recently changed their packaging. I have two 90 oz bags of hay that are dry and brittle that the buns will not eat. I need a new brand that can be purchased on Amazon. Again…THAT CAN BE PURCHASED ON AMAZON.
thanks for your help!

If you want to contact oxbow, they used to be good about customer satisfaction. They may offer a replacement or refund.

yes! getting in bulk is more affordable than getting small packs of them. this applies to any brand of hay =)

imo best hay you can get is whatever you can get fresh and local from a farmer
any hay will vary in quality. If I am not feeding local hay I am feeding standlee hay; if its going to be hit or miss I might as well get my bang for my buck

From Oxbow. I forgot to say that.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt…I bought two 90oz bags and both were the same. Yellow or very very light green. I have never had the problem with Oxbow before this batch. I went on Amazon reviews and lots of people have the same complaints and what’s even more disturbing are the pictures of dead birds they find in the bags. I’m done with Oxbow.

thanks for your help!
Update:
Thank you for your replies! I am ordering all of your suggestions in small quantities to see what the divas like.

Latest posts

Back