best bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohsnapitscharity

Reaction score
ok i need a cheap bedding. that works! right now i am using pine/aspen shaving under some newspaper...i would like to know what everyone else uses and the prices please.

also food and prices would be nice

If you buns are litter trained, you can use a wood pellet litter in the litter box and blankets or towels in the rest of the cage. Wood pellets cost about $4-6 for a 40 pound bag. You might be able to find them at a feed store (as horse bedding) or a hard ware store (as wood stove pellets). Either one is fine as long as they are kiln dried. You could put them in the rest of the cage, and scoop up the wet spots every day and clean the whole cage on a weekly basis.

Food prices vary depending on the food, where you are located, the store and the bag size. Knowing where you are and what food you have/want would help a lot.

I find that the best bedding is no bedding at all.
My buns are in cages with solid flooring. I use feline pine in their litterboxes.

We feed Oxbow bunny basics/ T which is about $13 for a 10 lb. bag.
The best food for you really depends on your bun though.

If you could put your country if your profile people might be able to help a bit more.

I use wood pellets litter under a load of hay in litter trays, and my outside buns have newspaper with a load of hay on top for the areas that are not their toilets.

My wood pellet litter is a 15kg bag (I think) for £8.99. Lasts me about a week, but then I have 17 buns to share it between (which, for mine, is 23 litter trays).

Sorry, I see your country is now there. I'm sure it wasn't when I started to write. Sorry.

What I did is buy a $1 dishpan with no holes in it for a "litter box" then I filled it with your litter of choice, no regular kitty litter. You can use newpaper and hay, I use yesterday's news which is a pellet made of recycled newspaper with hay on top. Then I scooped some of their waste (poop) into the litter box and from then on, they used this. I've noticed they like going on hay.

Kiln Dried Pine and Aspen is the cheapest bedding for the amount you get and more importantly, it's safe to house bunnies on. However, I do recommend litter training.

Latest posts

Back