Best Absorbing Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
I have a bunny that has urine scald and the vet has done exams, x-rays and blood work. We can't find anything wrong with Rascal (male bunny). So, I'm checking into litters now. I have always used Yesturday's News, but I was wondering if there is a better absorbing litter. That's faster to absorb urine. Any suggestions would be helpful....

Thank you, April :)

Maybe you could try a grated litterbox so he can't stay sitting in the litter? I had to do that with my one rabbit who liked to pee and sleep in her litterbox and got urine scald. Also, rubbing some desitin on the burned areas helped her heal faster.

I was thinking about doing the grated litter box. But I was trying to stay away from it. I"m treating his urine scald with Original Gold Bond Powder per vet orders. or she said I could use Neosporin with vaseline on top. I have his bum shaved too so the urine doesn't stay stuck to the hair.

I may try the grated litterbox to see how they like it. I'll have to look it up to see how to make it.

Thanks...

I've always found Yesterdays News to be pretty great actually so yeah, perhaps the grated litterbox would help. I am glad there is nothing wrong with your bun. :)

Petsmart does have smaller bags of wood pellets (cat litter), so if you wanted to try some but didn't want a 40 pound bag it would be good. It is a tad expensive compared to other places, so I would not buy it there otherwise.

Have you ever seen Eco bedding. It's recycled paper. Does a wonderful job of absorbing the pee for my rabbits.

Just a thought.

K:)

For our piggies, we use fleece blankets from Goodwill. We also use fleece for vet trips for buns and pigs. Place the fleece on top of your favourite litter.

(Note: Prepare your fleece for wicking by washing it several times with a little bit of detergent and rinsing with vinegar. See: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html)

The fleece wicks away the pee and keeps the surface, and everyone(bun) dry. Not sure if that helps with the urine scald, but it's another possible option.

What about equine (horse) pine pellets for your bun?

I use the pine pellets for my rabbit and it works great! Plus it's much more economical! I can by a 20-25 lb bag for around $7.00! I used to buy the pet store litter (the fluffy material kind) and it was just super expensive! When I found out about the pine pellets from a local rabbit rescue I was absolutely ecstatic! :yahoo:

Latest posts

Back