Benji Portrait for JimD & I Luv Mah Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandhills_rabbits

Reaction score
Well, here's a painting of your Benji bunny. I'msorry the scan looks so dark. I know it's a black bunny, and it looksblack in the painting, but the painting has some highlights in the furthat the scanner isnt wanting to pick up, and the velvety pink insidehis ear isnt showing up either..... :-(
(I guess this is just more proof that my husband needs to buy me a new scanner!!! More evidence to prove my case!)

85033963.jpg

I Luv Mah Buns or JimD, if you'd p.m. me your address I could get your portrait print sent out to you....

Yes here I go again too :D, that's SO beautiful! Even with your scanner playing up you can see how lovely Benji looks.

Kate

It simply looks like a photo! I can't believe how great of an artist you are Sandhills.

Do you sketch it first?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
It simply looks like a photo! I can't believe how great of an artist you are Sandhills.

Do you sketch it first?

Yes.... i sketch every thing first lightly in charcoal pencil. Then Igo over it in watercolor, and then once the watercolor's dry I"fine-tune" and enhance with my Prismacolor colored pencils.

Thanks all for the kind words.... I feel like abroken record, too, lol... Always thanking everyone for being sogenerous with the compliments!

Honestly, though- a lot of the detail wasnt picked up when I scannedthe painting though. I'm thinking my scanner is off a bit with theexposure or something, because none of the dark grayish highlights onBenji's fur came through.... Also on the blanket, many of the fabric'shighlights are missing :-(

I'm glad I'm not in their household. Knowing how much Mom loves thatpicture of Benji, JimD feels about Benj, and then of course, Danielle?

How will they ever decide on where it hangs??

It's simply stunning, Sandhills. I've run out of compliments. You're incredible.

-Carolyn

My gosh, your work continues to astound me! Youhave such talent SandHills! Also congrats on the second place for bestlop...what an adorable little one!! I love the coloring...that wouldmake a beautiful portriat as well!

You have brought so much happiness to so many people on this board. Youare to be comended for being so giving of your time and talent. Thanksfor letting us witness these literal works of art!

Fergi's mom

blueyes65 wrote:
There are no words!:shock:I swear this painting looks so identical to the picture...in awe:D

Trust me, side by side I can pick out all the places I 'goofed' on, ordid in the wrong shade, etc. I guess it's those differences that makethe artwork more one of a kind. I can totally pick out the differenceson Benji... in the picture his hair looks more wooly, and I think myversion of him makes him look less furry. Then again you cant tell muchfrom my awful scanner.....

Pretty :)

Black rabbits are hard to take pictures of... another 'secert' reasonof why I got into DH's LOL! I have an aunt that doesn't likewhite rabbits so Itellher they are washedout black rabbits. ;)So in that perspective, I never got ridof having dark colored rabbits LOL!

Too bad scanners don't give the actual feel. :?

sandhills_rabbits wrote:
blueyes65 wrote:
There are no words!:shock:I swear this painting looks so identical to the picture...in awe:D

Trust me, side by side I can pick out all the places I 'goofed' on, ordid in the wrong shade, etc. I guess it's those differences that makethe artwork more one of a kind. I can totally pick out the differenceson Benji... in the picture his hair looks more wooly, and I think myversion of him makes him look less furry. Then again you cant tell muchfrom my awful scanner.....

NO! He looks like the benji he was when he was younger... he was sosilky and smooth... ilove it so much. i wouldnt change it forthe world! i hope you signed and dated it!!

Not to worry.... I signed and dated the print. Ialso number each one, too. I cant sign and number the originals that Imake the scans of, because then when prints are made all the printswould have the same numbering. It would be horrible if there was(hypothetically) 100 prints of a piece of artwork, and each one said itwas #1 out of #1.

I Luv Mah Buns, I'm glad that the portrait looks like Benji in hisyounger days...... Don't worry, all the details that didnt show up inthe scan will be in the print. :)

sandhills_rabbits wrote:
Not to worry.... I signed and dated the print. I also numbereach one, too. I cant sign and number the originals that I make thescans of, because then when prints are made all the prints would havethe same numbering. It would be horrible if there was (hypothetically)100 prints of a piece of artwork, and each one said it was #1 out of #1.

I Luv Mah Buns, I'm glad that the portrait looks like Benji in hisyounger days...... Don't worry, all the details that didnt show up inthe scan will be in the print. :)

wait- we dont get the originals?

sandhills_rabbits wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

Do you sketch it first?

Yes.... i sketch every thing first lightly in charcoal pencil. Then Igo over it in watercolor, and then once the watercolor's dry I"fine-tune" and enhance with my Prismacolor colored pencils.
Very nice! It's nice you enjoy it also.

Danielle, no she needs the originals for her portfolio, that's what thefirst thread was for....... and she sends a copy to you (which I thinkis more than awesome!)

I keep the originals for my portfolio....

My family's been stressing how important it is for me to keep myoriginal artwork because one day my daughter will want to have it.

I've done commissioned work in which it's part of the agreement (upfront before the painting is ever started) that the person paying forthe artwork gets the original..... but those have to sell for much moremoney because then someone else has the one and only original work, andeven though I'm the artist can't legally make prints or anything, eventhough my name's attached to the painting.

I'm doing a piece of artwork for somebody on Rabbits Only that will begetting the original, because it's a specifically-requested portrait ofa friend that has passed on. It's extenuating circumstances like thosethat bend the rules a little bit.

Truthfully though, I really love the way the prints look.... sometimesI think they look even better then the originals. I think that printscan look wonderful when matted and framed nicely.

Didn't you also say that we would get the #1print? Having that isvery prestigious. It shows that you havethe work of an established artist. I think what you're doing isawesome, and I can't wait for updates of how the other prints of ourbabies sell when you put them out there! :D

Elf Mommy wrote:
Didn't you also say that we would get the #1 print? Having thatis very prestigious. It shows that you have the work of an establishedartist. I think what you're doing is awesome, and I can't wait forupdates of how the other prints of our babies sell when you put themout there! :D

Thanks so much, Elf Mommy! Your words of wisdom couldnt have been anybetter said, and the compliments are great appreciated :)

I know that if given the choice people would probably want the one andonly original over a print, but initially when I started the thread Iwas basically just wanting to expand my portfolio (which contains allmy originals), and was wondering if i could use people's bunnys as myinspiration behind all the paintings.

I had no inkling that I'd get so many responses about the paintings. Ithink that the prints look as much like the originals as can be, theonly difference is that they are on a different type of paper. The goodthing about the prints I'm sending out is that they are signed andhandnumbered, and I havent signed or numbered the originals....

Latest posts

Back