Belgian Hares

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korr_and_Sophie

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to possibly get a Belgian Hare. Nothing is set yet as it does depend on transport and some other factors. Right now I want to get some other peoples experience with them and know a bit more about them. I am hoping to get a buck and would be using him for rabbit hopping. Depending on the rabbit, I might show, but there really aren't a lot of shows I would be able to attend and showing is not the main reason for getting the rabbit.

I have done some research, but still have a few questions.
What is the minimum cage size? Some sites say 24X48", but others say 24X72" is better. I do realize that they do need a larger cage, but what would be a good size.
Is their diet much different than other breeds? He would be kept inside and would not be bred, but I might keep him intact, at least for a while. Since they are active, do they need more or a higher protein feed than other breeds?
What is their personality like? The stuff I have read says they are intelligent, but are they people oriented, really friendly or what? I do realize that personality does depend on the individual and how they are raised, but what are they like generally?
What set them apart from other breeds as far as care goes?

Lots to think about and I don't even know if I am getting one.

I'm not sure it would be the best breed for rabbit hopping. I've read that they are a very hard breed with very fragile bones due to their un-natural shape. They tend to die quite young from various health problems, and a lot of breeders I have talked to online that raised Belgian Hares gave up because they are so fragile and hard to raise.

Agreed about the fragile bones thing. They break their legs and backs quite easily.

I am looking into getting a trio of them imported from the US. From what I understand about them, I wont even give them a two level cage incase they hurt themselves jumping down to the second level.

We raised them for a short time. Due to a limited gene pool, they are predisposed to a number of genetic problems.

im intrigued by Belgian Hares...this info is interesting cuz i find rabbits to already be fragile and saying that these gorgoeus Hares are even more fragile will def keep me from getting one in the future...if u do get one please share pics and info with us.they are amazing in photos i couldnt imagine seeing one up close...its too bad about their health probs..they are gorgeous.

A little sidetracked, but I started my english spots (when I had them) in rabbit hopping. They seemed like a pretty good breed to do it with, unless I'm mistaken. You'd probably want one on the smaller side of the spectrum (not that I've SEEN an 8 pound spot while I was in them), but yeah.

Good times.

We are in the process of arranging to get 2 Hares which are apparently a bit bigger boned then some and in talking to the breeder she said in all the years she's raised them, she has never had any broken legs or backs.
These two will be apart of the hopping club, but of course like with any rabbit, extreame caution and handling will be taken with them. After all the time we've searched for one and them travelling so far to be able to come and join the family, we're not about to risk them injuring themselves.

Here is Peace & Jabberwocky aka Goofy.

Peace-1.jpg

Jabberwocky.jpg

Stan, you do know Amanda don't you!! She said years ago if she ever was able to get a buck Hare she would call it Jabberwocky! We just never thought the time would actually come where we could get one, but not only one, this lady has two! How could you resist? It's really quite amazing how all this worked out, the timing of it all and then the help of Sharin and everyone else who has helped, especially with the transportation! So many things had to come together for this all to work!

You have no idea how excited we are and I don't know who is more excited, Amanda or myself! I'm just worried they will come and both will love Amanda and neither will like me! Then she will get both of them!

They should arrive in Calgary on November 13th!!!

Latest posts

Back