Being Overprotective?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayndance

Reaction score
Koda and I traveled a few hours away from Portland to visit my parents' house for Thanksgiving. My stepmom was saying how excited she was to meet Koda and I was happy to bring him over. However, about a day after we got here and settled in, she started getting too comfortable with Koda being around and ignoring my rules with him.

Koda is still getting used to the house, even though we are leaving today. I told everyone when we got here that he doesn't like to he picked up and he should explore the house on his own, not be followed constantly, no constant petting and chasing, just let him do his own thing until he wants to come to you.

She ignored that completely and kept picking him up (not how I showed her to pick him up, did it incorrectly) and fed him more banana after I told her he was not to eat any more because it's too much sugar. She went ahead and fed him a few more big pieces anyway and now Koda is not acting like himself. Just 30 minutes ago I told her that Koda was to be left in his pin because we leave in an hour, and she took him out anyway to cuddle him. Last night I was carrying Koda to his pin for the night and she got up and when I said no to her taking him into her arms, she did it anyway and outright said, "You just don't want him liking anyone else but you."

I want to mention that she had 3 rabbits in the past, more than 15 or 20 years ago, but I don't think they ran freely in the house or she fed them vegetables (which she pokes fun at me for, because I rotate his diet slightly every day). She may have more knowledge of rabbits and I know I'm a brand new mommy to a bunny, but I honestly believe I may know more about rabbits than she does at this point yet she still ignores me and my wishes.

I'm worried he is getting sick from the stress of being handled too much, despite my wishes for him to he left alone for a while and also all the treats he's been given by her is messing with his stomach. I am so mad right now, and I hate to rant on here but I'm just upset and hurt my stepmom ignored my wishes on how I want to handle MY rabbit.

Am I being too protective? Should I relax and just trust people so easily, because I am not happy at the moment.

She sounds like a little spoiled kid that doesn't know how to listen and wants their own way! Geeze, I probably would have had a full out confrontation and packed up and left. It almost sounds like she's controling and having some sort of personal power struggle with you. By the way, if your rabbit gets sick because of her over feeding him sugar, I would be sending the bill to her.

It doesn't matter how many rabbits she owned 20 years ago and how experienced she thinks she is, rabbits were treated totally different back then than they are now. It's pretty certain you know a heck of a lot more about a house rabbit than she does. And even if she did know more about rabbits than you, it's not her rabbit, it's yours. You make the rules, and she should have listened. You aren't being overprotective. Rabbits are very sensitive animals and very prone to stress related and diet problems. You know your rabbit best and what it needs.

You'll really want to keep a close eye on your rabbit. Make sure the sugars didn't mess with him too much and that he's eating and pooping ok. I would make sure that he stays hydrated and has water to drink on the trip home. If there is anything you can do to make the car ride less stressful for him too, that would be good. If you aren't driving, and if he likes you holding and petting him, maybe hold and pet him in the car, if it helps him relax.

I really hope he is going to be ok. I'm sure you're relieved that this is over and you are going home now.

Good grief. Don't have any grandkids for her any time soon...

I agree with Jenny--who cares about her past rabbit experience. You are the one in charge of your rabbit and you get to make the rules. If you tell her not to do something and she goes to do it, stop her! Say no, block her path, whatever.

Tell her how you feel when she ignores you. Tell her it's hurtful and makes you feel like she doesn't respect you. If possible, leave your bunny at home next time if you don't feel like he's safe around her. Tell her why you left him home if she asks.

Especially with the treats she just can't give him whatever she wants. Kids are one thing--a few extra sweets when they visit grandma is okay. But rabbits really can't have too much or it really can mess up their systems.

Sorry if this sounds angry--I'm angry for you!! I hate when people do this kind of thing whether it's with rabbits, grandkids, household management skills, or anything else.

I had a rabbit 20 years ago... I basically had to re-learn rabbits from scratch, as SO much has changed since then!

it's YOUR rabbit and YOU'RE the mom - you know what's best for him and the fact that she ignored everything you said is ridiculously disrespectful, imo. extra sugar can upset the tummy and new places are stressful enough as it is without the rabbit being picked up constantly (incorrectly, no less). the things you were asking of her were simple enough and definitely in Koda's best interests.

I'm with Larry - next time you visit her, I'd get a sitter so Koda can stay at home... much easier than getting into a knock-down, drag-out fight over it or ending up with a sick and pissed off bunny. (she's lucky he's better behaved than my two - either of mine would've thumped and administered some warning nips, lol)

Latest posts

Back