Behaviour: how to grow mutual trust?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, i don't want to make an appointment too early and i don't want to stress my Little Boy either, so i was just wondering. With Musti, we went in when his hormones were unbearble, at about 6 months or so...

When you are sitting with your bun I would suggest doing it in a small area like a bathroom or inside a pen, the smaller the area the better. It makes it so your rabbit can't hop away to avoid you. So this gives it a better chance of your rabbit getting to know you and getting used to you. But then you also need to not force things and let your rabbit approach you and decide when he is ready for you to pet him. I would also suggest using a pet carrier to transfer him places so you can minimize the times you have to pick him up. Lure him in with a small treat or gently scoot him in. You are trying to build trust, and picking up a rabbit that detests being picked up, will affect it learning to trust you.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

I am sorry he is so skiddish of you. What you are doing sounds right and maybe with time he will soften up to you. My rabbit is a tiny bit older and she has changed some with her wants or dislikes. I like that you are reading to him and trying. I would look at the rabbit society website and also search on youtube and google for more ideas on how to bond if you do not see anything more on the forum or search function on here. Best wishes!

When you are sitting with your bun I would suggest doing it in a small area like a bathroom or inside a pen, the smaller the area the better. It makes it so your rabbit can't hop away to avoid you. So this gives it a better chance of your rabbit getting to know you and getting used to you. But then you also need to not force things and let your rabbit approach you and decide when he is ready for you to pet him. I would also suggest using a pet carrier to transfer him places so you can minimize the times you have to pick him up. Lure him in with a small treat or gently scoot him in. You are trying to build trust, and picking up a rabbit that detests being picked up, will affect it learning to trust you.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
Sitting in a smaller space with him helped somehow, he decided to use me as a lookout post once. While i was reading a book to him in a mellower tone compared to yesterday, He threw his iddy biddy baby moustache in my face, hehe... He nudged my hand and nipped me. His nips are kinda soft so i guess it's just curiousity if i will respond to it/"what substance are you, hooman?" He's a little hooligan that hid under these eurostands/racks whatever? 20200609_160817.jpg20200609_160826.jpgAnd i had to look for him. That iddy biddy booger is more curious than i initially thought. He also decided it would be nice and cool to chill on the doorstep...20200609_151910.jpg20200609_145832.jpg20200609_143646.jpg
All in all, i'd call today a sucess.

Thank you for the tip! Sure, he is frankly extremely timid and fights every interaction he can. But still, as all people are different, each rabbit is too, so i can't go comparing him with how friendly and accepting Musti was on day 3 with us interacting with and picking him up. He really was a sweetheart, a curious adventurous speedy digger who bumped me for attention on day 5 and allowed petting on day 2, he'd even lay down for it. I guess Little boy is just not as friendly with humans as Musti was.
Hang in there Catlyn. I'm sure he'll come around to like you in time. You are a great bun mom. Just like children, all animals have their own personalities.
I'm so sorry to hear about your other rabbit. I know from seeing your posts that you did all you could for him. * hugs

Hang in there Catlyn. I'm sure he'll come around to like you in time. You are a great bun mom. Just like children, all animals have their own personalities.
I'm so sorry to hear about your other rabbit. I know from seeing your posts that you did all you could for him. * hugs
Thank you! It means so much tl me when there are numerous people who see and care!

So i haven't updated in a while.
We made some progress over the month! I've been subduing my grief of my lost boy and it seems that Storm has become a biiiit more relaxed since then. It seems that he's also chilling his hormones from the neuter. He's still energetic as ever! I got to move him indoors, so he's now a total house bunny! He still gets to storm around the yard supervised.
He rarely comes when i call him from afar but if he's close to me (1.5m or so) he will sometimes run up to me and sniff around for a treat. I've noticed that even if he doesn't come, he'll still perk his ears and look at me. I think that he is starting to know his name.
He is still very objecting when my parents pick him up. When i had to lift him once he decided to bite my ear as revenge. Fair point.
When he comes to us he sometimes allows us to pet him, other times he will wiggle away. I still cannot comb him calmly.
He loves to zoom and thrash around, flinging the carpet into a heap and then he digs on it.
He uses his litterbox perfectly. He diesn't seem to like the wide-spaced hayrack that i made so i just put some in his box and the rack.

Still, any other tips and tricks are always welcome!

Latest posts

Back