Behaviors preventing bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebster

Reaction score
Have been trying to bond 8 yr old Dutchess with three year old Abigail for the past two months. Did scent swapping,cageswapping,putthem in side by side cages where they couldseeeachother. When i put themin a new unclaimedspace, Abigal humps poor Dutchess’ face. Dutchess seems to want to be face groomed. She took a half hearted bite like motion toward Abby without making contactwith Abigail.

Abigail is so young i think she doesnt know about facegrooming and isnt fixed yet (so tiny vet said to holdoff on spaying for afew months). Am trying to bond them because bonding was suggested as a solutionto Dutchess’ runnyeyes. She has been onthree courses of eyedrops and isbeing followed for dental disease. Her fur is getting caked near her eyes.
Is there something i can do to get Abby to lick Dutchess, like putting food on Dutchess?

If Abigail is not spayed yet and she's the one doing the dominant humping, then they should be kept apart until she is spayed and her hormones have dissipated. Trying to bond them before then only risks a fight (from incessant humping and Dutchess then lashing out in retaliation). That could sabotage their chances of future bonding.

Thank you. Will keep them apart. Yes, Abigal is about three months old, soon to be four months. Was hoping Abigail would clean Dutchess’ crusty face. Not sure how to remove dry eye crud which is all over her fur below her eyes.

Thank you. Will keep them apart. Yes, Abigal is about three months old, soon to be four months. Was hoping Abigail would clean Dutchess’ crusty face. Not sure how to remove dry eye crud which is all over her fur below her eyes.
Cotton wool and cooled boiled water.

Latest posts

Back