Behavior tips and tricks please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnamariexx

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m new to the forum because I came on here to possibly find some answers on how to fix this issue. I have an 11 month old female Holland lop who is spayed and free roam. I adopted her at 9 months got her spayed and she has since been awesome. However, the one “bad habit” that I haven’t be able to break is that she loves to nibble on my clothes. It is nothing that causes damage to my clothing, but she has many times also pinched my skin while doing so. Anytime she tries I usually push her head away and say Charli no! Or try putting a toy infront of her, but it has been 2 months and nothing has seemed to work. Does anyone have any tips? Or is this something I may need to always deal with and warn visitors about? Thanks in advance!
- Jonna

Have hay on hand and when your bun try’s to nibble your clothes put the hay in front of it, I have found that works well and they chew on the hay instead of your clothes accidentally pinching you

Usually nibbling of clothes is because she is trying to groom you!! Somehow they seem to understand that the clothes are in the way of you (your skin). She is likely trying to groom/lick you to show her affection and bond with you. I'd imagine she may be confused as to why she is being told no. :(

You could try placing your hand or bare arm in front of her if she is trying to nibble, say, on your midsection while you are sitting. She may then lick your skin instead.

Try to distract her when she is nibbling o you. Like @Roo1234 said, put some hay in front of her to tempt her to chew that. Every once in a while, tempt her away from your clothes with some fruit or veggies. If she starts to chew on you, maybe scoot away from her.

Rabbits love chewing on things. Does your rabbit have access to cardboard, sticks and other safe toys that they can chew on? If they do not have access to a good amount of toys they might resort to your clothes or even furniture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually nibbling of clothes is because she is trying to groom you!! Somehow they seem to understand that the clothes are in the way of you (your skin). She is likely trying to groom/lick you to show her affection and bond with you. I'd imagine she may be confused as to why she is being told no. :(

You could try placing your hand or bare arm in front of her if she is trying to nibble, say, on your midsection while you are sitting. She may then lick your skin instead.
Yes I do love that she tries to groom me, and she doesn't bite when its my bare skin, but it hurts when she does get my skin over my clothes. So thats why I need something to train her not to do that. I hate that I always need to be on edge with her because she's gotten my skin good quite a few times.

Rabbits love chewing on things. Does your rabbit have access to cardboard, sticks and other safe toys that they can chew on? If they do not have access to a good amount of toys they might resort to your clothes or even furniture.

I created a bunnies tips and tricks group called Buns, Bunnos and Wabbits Facebook! I would consider myself very knowledgeable about bunnies. I have done a ton of research and I have taken courses. This group will be answering any posted questions, hot topics, or tips! Feel free to join if interested!
www.facebook.com/groups/bunsbunnosandwabbits/
Hi, yes she has a bunch of toys that she seems to have lost interest in, so I just spent like $50 on new toys that I ordered her which should be coming soon. Thankfully she is really awesome about never chewing my wood furniture she shows no interest in it.

Instead of saying 'no', try doing a loud 'eep' and pulling away. It can be a signal to them of distress or that they are grooming too roughly. You could also try thumping at her. That would let her know you are really upset. Of course if she is trying to be nice and groom you, doing that may upset or offend her. When I see my rabbits grooming each other and one starts nibbling a bit too roughly, the other bun will jerk away, and may run a few steps and thump.

This explains some rabbit body language that could be helpful in figuring out how to communicate what you need to her.
https://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Latest posts

Back