Beewee and creela’s enclosure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum! Very cute bunnies! How old are they?

I just want to point out several things about your enclosure:
1. It is too small for one rabbit, let alone 2 rabbits. I don't know if you are allowing them time out of the cage, but with a cage that small they will need at least 6 hours out per day. Or, you could always get rid of the cage and replace it with a nice large puppy playpen instead of giving them free-roaming time! The pen will need to be at least 36" tall so the rabbits do not jump out. Housing Options

2. There is not enough hay. Rabbits eat a bundle of hay the size of themself per day! And, they should always have 2-3 times that amount in their cage for emergencies. Rabbits need to be eating hay constantly in order to keep their digestive system running smoothly. I highly suggest removing the hay rack and placing a bundle of hay in their litter box. I do see the Oxbow Timothy hay bag in the back! That is a great option for hay! The only thing I have to say about it is that you will probably be going through one of those bags per week. I highly suggest looking for bales of Timothy, Orchard, Meadow, etc. hay from local farmers in your area.

3. Rabbits should not use water bottles. Rabbits drink as much water as an adult dog every day and in order to get that much water, they need to use a heavy bottom water bowl (that they cannot flip).

4. That is way too many pellets. If your rabbits are babies they should each be getting about 1/8-1/4 cup of healthy pellets per day. What brand pellets are you feeding them? Can you send a picture of the bag?

5. Rabbits do not need bedding in the cage. First off, any type of wood shavings is bad for them, so please remove all shavings. Second, using bedding just confuses them on where to use the bathroom. If you want some sort of blanket in the cage for a bed, use an old towel or fleece. I do not see a litter box in your picture, but I suggest looking into litter training them. Here is a link that is very helpful: Litter Training

I'm guessing that these are very young rabbits (2-3 months) based on their size. If they are babies (younger than 6 months), I suggest separating them as soon as they hit 4 months. The "bond" they have right now will not last and you will have very aggressive, territorial rabbits on your hands. When rabbits hit 4-5 months old they will begin fighting with each other, sometimes to the death. They will need to be separated until they are old enough to be spayed (it depends on the vet, but normally this is at 6 months) and after properly bonded. If they are adult rabbits, you have probably already spayed them and properly bonded them so this info doesn't apply to you ;)

That is way too many pellets. If your rabbits are babies they should each be getting about 1/8-1/4 cup of healthy pellets per day. What brand pellets are you feeding them? Can you send a picture of the bag?
Ok will give them less. I use the oxbrow adult rabbit food pellets and the kaytee fiesta bag for treats.

Rabbits do not need bedding in the cage. First off, any type of wood shavings is bad for them, so please remove all shavings. Second, using bedding just confuses them on where to use the bathroom. If you want some sort of blanket in the cage for a bed, use an old towel or fleece. I do not see a litter box in your picture, but I suggest looking into litter training them. Here is a link that is very helpful
Are other shavings like this one okay? https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/carefresh-shavings-plus-pet-bedding

I used to have a litter box but they never use it so I took it out.

I'm guessing that these are very young rabbits (2-3 months) based on their size. If they are babies (younger than 6 months), I suggest separating them as soon as they hit 4 months. The "bond" they have right now will not last and you will have very aggressive, territorial rabbits on your hands. When rabbits hit 4-5 months old they will begin fighting with each other, sometimes to the death. They will need to be separated until they are old enough to be spayed (it depends on the vet, but normally this is at 6 months) and after properly bonded. If they are adult rabbits, you have probably already spayed them and properly bonded them so this info doesn't apply to you ;)
Yes, I realized they are getting a little aggressive these days. One usually tries to hop on the others back and shake. The other would get mad and defend. I will try to get them sprayed soon.

Thanks! They are less than a year old.
You have 2 babies, so cute! Babies are always adorable, but can be quite the handful! Take a look at this guide for what to feed young rabbits (it was a lifesaver for when Theo was a baby): Rabbit Food | House Rabbit Society
I let them out of their cage about 8 hours a day.
That is a great amount of playtime, just keep in mind that they will need a larger cage once they get bigger so go ahead and be looking at playpens. I found one for only $5 at a yard sale!
Ok, will get them more hay :)
Perfect! When Theo was a baby he would always come running over to the hay when I refreshed it every morning and night, it was so cute! Maybe your bunnies will do the same!
Ok but I feel like it is fine for the rabbits. The bottle can last up to 2 days when full
It actually isn't fine for rabbits. In fact, it is one of the most common myths about rabbits. Obviously, whoever came up with the idea that rabbits should have water bottles had never owned a rabbit. Bottles have a lot of bacteria and sometimes will grow algae, even if you clean them often. While bowls are able to be rinsed out every day to prevent bacteria from growing and hurting your rabbit. Please swap over to a water bowl. It will make your rabbits so much happier and healthier!
Ok will give them less. I use the oxbrow adult rabbit food pellets and the kaytee fiesta bag for treats.
Oxbow is a great brand! Lots of rabbit owners on the forum use Oxbow! I would slowly remove the Kaytee fiesta pellets because the added stuff is bad for them. Instead, offer them 1 tsp of a healthy treat (apple, banana, grape, blueberry) per day. Keep in mind though, that rabbits do not need treats, and too many treats too often can lead to health issues later on.
Are other shavings like this one okay? https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/carefresh-shavings-plus-pet-bedding

I used to have a litter box but they never use it so I took it out.
Those shavings are safe, but I still suggest removing the shavings altogether. Instead, you should litter train your rabbits to make cleaning so much easier!
You will need to remove all the bedding and put a litter box (NOT a corner litter box because they are too small, I suggest using a large cat litter box) in the corner the rabbits use the bathroom in. You can line the litter box with newspaper, or not, it is really just a preference thing. Then, put pine pellets about 1 inch thick over the litter box floor, and top the litter box off with hay.
Here is another helpful link: Litter Box Training: Tips & Tricks To Be Successful!
Yes, I realized they are getting a little aggressive these days. One usually tries to hop on the others back and shake. The other would get mad and defend. I will try to get them sprayed soon.
If they are humping each other please separate them! The humping could turn into a fighting match very soon and you could be paying for an expensive vet bill in the near future. Depending on how old they are, go ahead and plan appointments to get them spayed. If they are not spayed, you will not be able to bond them and they will not be able to live together. Once they have been spayed and after their hormones have settled down (1-2 months) they can be bonded.
https://rabbit.org/bonding-rabbits-a-how-to-from-georgia-hrs/

Ok but I feel like it is fine for the rabbits. The bottle can last up to 2 days when full
Yes, maybe it can, but water bowls are better for rabbits. Rabbits have to tilt their head to get the water and can lead to dehydration if you’re not careful. And rabbits can drink as much as a large dog if they want to in just one day!

Welcome to the forum! Very cute bunnies! How old are they?

I just want to point out several things about your enclosure:
1. It is too small for one rabbit, let alone 2 rabbits. I don't know if you are allowing them time out of the cage, but with a cage that small they will need at least 6 hours out per day. Or, you could always get rid of the cage and replace it with a nice large puppy playpen instead of giving them free-roaming time! The pen will need to be at least 36" tall so the rabbits do not jump out. Housing Options

2. There is not enough hay. Rabbits eat a bundle of hay the size of themself per day! And, they should always have 2-3 times that amount in their cage for emergencies. Rabbits need to be eating hay constantly in order to keep their digestive system running smoothly. I highly suggest removing the hay rack and placing a bundle of hay in their litter box. I do see the Oxbow Timothy hay bag in the back! That is a great option for hay! The only thing I have to say about it is that you will probably be going through one of those bags per week. I highly suggest looking for bales of Timothy, Orchard, Meadow, etc. hay from local farmers in your area.

3. Rabbits should not use water bottles. Rabbits drink as much water as an adult dog every day and in order to get that much water, they need to use a heavy bottom water bowl (that they cannot flip).

4. That is way too many pellets. If your rabbits are babies they should each be getting about 1/8-1/4 cup of healthy pellets per day. What brand pellets are you feeding them? Can you send a picture of the bag?

5. Rabbits do not need bedding in the cage. First off, any type of wood shavings is bad for them, so please remove all shavings. Second, using bedding just confuses them on where to use the bathroom. If you want some sort of blanket in the cage for a bed, use an old towel or fleece. I do not see a litter box in your picture, but I suggest looking into litter training them. Here is a link that is very helpful: Litter Training

That is very well written and informative. You really included everything!

You should get a large Xpen, that cage is way too small and I use a large corner litterbox for my two buns. I agree about the water bowl. I use a heavy ceramic dog bowl. They've never knocked it over.

Latest posts

Back