Bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
My rabbit Theo is outside and tomorrow it is going to snow! I don't have bedding or litter for him, since he goes on his pan. Right now he has a dog bed (that he is chewing up) and some straw. What else can I put in there so he doesn't get cold? I put a rice bag in there, but he chewed it up and ate some of the rice. I would put Timothy Hay in there too, but it is so expensive here :(. It is about $20 for a bag that will last 1 rabbit maybe 2 months.
Thanks for all your help! :)

My rabbit Theo is outside and tomorrow it is going to snow! I don't have bedding or litter for him, since he goes on his pan. Right now he has a dog bed (that he is chewing up) and some straw. What else can I put in there so he doesn't get cold? I put a rice bag in there, but he chewed it up and ate some of the rice. I would put Timothy Hay in there too, but it is so expensive here :(. It is about $20 for a bag that will last 1 rabbit maybe 2 months.
Thanks for all your help! :)
dear theo,-outside environment-requires a lot more concern for safety/health risks,--I spent 3 years in Millington,tennessee-bad winters-1962-1965,--are there any other people keeping their rabbits outside??---would be best to ask a neighbor--if not,-you must keep their environment above 50-degrees-and worry-,try buying a bale of orchard/timothy grasses from a farm supply store--{-insulated-housing}- must keep out the wind,snow rain,etc.-these are more than suggestions,-they are a must.--sorry,--sincerely james waller for joseph r cottontail/bdenium-rip

Try wrapping the outside of the hutch with bubble wrap, and stuff it full of straw/hay, it’s all about insulation, bunnies generally tolerate the cold better than heat.

Thanks! It's going to snow any minute, and we didn't make it to the store :(. Would any of you suggest a blanket or old stuffed animal? I will pack in more straw, and hope he stays warm. Right now he is currently in the shed in a hutch so the wind stays out. It typically stays warmer in the shed than outside, but just don't want him to freeze. I don't think rabbits freeze easily, but my friends rabbit did, and than died :(.
Thanks again for all of your help!

Yep, pack in straw and you could also use a blanket to line the bottom for him to have something warmer to lie on than the floor of the hutch. Make sure his water doesn't freeze. If he is used to being outside he should be okay, you could run to the shop tomorrow to get some bits if needs be.

I live in Northern Wyoming, it gets very cold here. I have 2 outside rabbits, they do fine. :) They have a completely enclosed room in their hutches that is full of straw & hay. The only time I bring my boys in is when it gets below 15*. If the wind cannot get in they will most likely be ok.
I have put a thick fleece blanket under the straw & hay in their little room for extra insulation.

Latest posts

Back