Bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingWife

Reaction score
what kind of bedding do you use?

I’ve been looking a pelleted horse bedding and I’ve been using some hay and Katyee but I want to find something that has good odor control (carefresh doesn’t IMO and Kaytee seems to hold their scent for a few days if I get the scented ones), and super absorbent.

Anyone also know how to add a wire to the bottom of a cage? I want the dropping and urine to go to the bottom so my rabbits are stepping in it and I’m cleaning our the cages everyday.

Wire bottom cages are not advised since they can lead to sore hocks and it isn't uncommon for a bunny's nail to get stuck in the grates and ripped out completely. It is far easier to maintain a litter box (if set up to your advantage).

The key to easy maintenance is having the right litter box set up. The two best litters, imo, that absorb odor the best, are the wood pellets and the pelleted paper litters. You can find wood pellets at most hardware stores. They are sold for wood pellet stoves in 40 lb bags. These are the least expensive (same as pelleted horse bedding). From pet stores, you can find the pelleted paper litter. This litter looks just like the wood pellets but is made from compressed, recycled paper. Yesterdays News is one brand (only get unscented). Petco also sells their own brand of pelleted paper litter. (avoid any scented litters)

Just want to clarify terms. Bedding often refers to what someone uses to cover the entire cage floor. Litter often refers to what is in the litter box itself. It is best to have zero bedding in the cage during litter training since it can confuse bunnies as to where to potty.

The hay on top of the litter serves several purposes. One is to entice them to go in the box. They love hay and they like to potty while they graze. It also serves to keep their paws off of any wet litter. Then it serves as an extra layer to keep odor down. I put fresh hay on top of my litter twice per day to ensure they always have fresh hay.

Not sure if I showed you this before, but you can see photos of such a setup at this page.

Maybe you could get a litter box and also put a grate in it? I have seen at least one site that sells rabbit supplies which does that.

I use the wood pellets but can’t compare to others since it’s all I’ve tried. I think it seems to control odor well.

I agree with blue eyes, grates can cause lots of problems and it is safer for the bunny and easier for you if you just maintain a litter tray instead :)

how often are you all changing out your litter box? I'm finding that if I put one layer of the wood pellets I'm having to change both out practically every day as most of the pellets have crumbled already after getting wet! At this rate I'm wondering if I should get one big one like this.. I'm worried it'd be a little too high but my friend has a lop who has no problem with it. Plus I think Bunster is peeing over the edge of my other one so it might be time for a change.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Champion-X-Large-Cat-Litter-Box/45743501#read-more

how often are you all changing out your litter box? I'm finding that if I put one layer of the wood pellets I'm having to change both out practically every day as most of the pellets have crumbled already after getting wet! At this rate I'm wondering if I should get one big one like this.. I'm worried it'd be a little too high but my friend has a lop who has no problem with it. Plus I think Bunster is peeing over the edge of my other one so it might be time for a change.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Champion-X-Large-Cat-Litter-Box/45743501#read-more
If it helps I think my bunny’s one is about the same size and she manages to jump in fine :) I also bought it because she was peeing over the edge of the old one

@ lavender, That big box would be great! The larger boxes are easier to maintain. It's about the same size as the one I use.

The key to using the wood pellets is maintaining it. If you aren't adding generous amount of hay twice per day, then, yeah, you're going to have to change it often. With one rabbit, my litter box easily lasts an entire week without any odor and without bunny getting his paws an any wet litter.

The link I gave on the prior post above shows this in photos.

I used to use blue eyes technique, and it is great for odour control. However my bun has now decided she loves to dig in her litter box - she digs all the litter up one end and then pees in the empty end... so I now have her on paper litter, I scoop over the litter every time I spot she has dug it and I scoop out any wet, which is easy because she only pees in one corner. This isn’t advice, more just a warning that withdifferent bunnies you’ll find your own best way of managing :)

Latest posts

Back