Bedding

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

@rabbitmummy

Reaction score
Hey, at the moment I'm using wood shavings for my bunnies litter tray however find it dusty, messy and smelly even though I've ben using it for four years!

Do you have any alternatives eg. Cat litter, newspaper etc. that you use or recommend?

Many thanks😄

whiskylollipop

Laura the Bunsnuggler
Reaction score
Wood chip pellets (the kind with no accelerant), aka woodfire pellets, aka horse stall pellets.

Cheap and great.

Azerane

Mod at Large
Reaction score
Yep, you can either use newspaper pellets (sold as various brands of cat litter, yesterday's news etc, just make sure it's unscented) or the compressed wood pellets. I prefer the wood pellets myself :)

Kittiebot

Reaction score
Wood pellets are the best thing ever! Lock in the pee and odors super well.

I get mine (Marth is the brand) at Fleet Farm for like $8 for a gigantic bag.

PaGal

Reaction score
I use a thin layer of horse stall pellets that cost less than $6 for a 40lb bag. On top of that I place a thin layer of kiln dried pine shavings. The kind I get is not dusty or messy. The wood stall pellets do a good job of odor control. I never notice a urine smell in the litter boxes but now and then Thumper will not get his fluffy butt all the way in and will pee outside the litter box. The smell then is very strong and stays in my memory all day.

Tessiesaurus

Tessie
Reaction score
I use Yesterday's News cat litter. It's expensive, but it absorbs and reduces scent so well. Also it's recycled so it's good for the environment.
For me, I wouldn't use anything else! :)

@rabbitmummy

Reaction score
Hello thanks for all the advice, everybody has recommended wood chip pellets/yesterday's news cat litter/ horse stall pellets which when I looked on the internet turned out to be very similar just different names, prices and brands. I will definitely try these out after my bag of wood shavings has ran out even though I've just bought it so will take a few months... Ugh!
Will just have to put up with the mess and dust for the time being but the rabbits don't seem to be coughing or sneezing from the dust so it's not to urgent... Thank you all😊