Bedding options

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogdodge

Reaction score
I'm setting up a huge fully secure outdoor bunny area. I'm going to have a smaller area within it that is sheltered and fully fly screened for night time.

Was just wondering what the best option is for bedding? The rabbits I had as a kid (I was around 6) used to sleep on hay... I honestly have no idea if that is good or bad. I've seen people use fleece as well as wood shavings so just wanted to check what the best option is for bedding.

I can easily buy wood shavings which are nice and soft and super warm too. I use them in my chicken's nesting boxes and also in one of my dog's kennels as she shreds every form of bedding, she loves it though cause she can bury her paws in it and it keeps her super warm!

Only thing with wood shavings Is I thought they might be a bit messy and perhaps encourage toileting in that area?

I'm not sure, any tips would be much appreciated :)

Only thing with wood shavings Is I thought they might be a bit messy and perhaps encourage toileting in that area?

That is correct.
Most people don't use any bedding at all or just use blankets/towels.
As well if you do decide to use shavings, please use ASPEN shavings as pine/cedar shavings (Yes even the kiln dried ones) can cause serious issues even with birds and dogs.
You could try straw. Whatever you use, you need to be willing to clean on a regular basis.
How cold does it get where your rabbit is? What does this area look like? How sheltered is it? Will wind get in? Any extra layers for insulation?

Honestly my bunny hated the bedding. The best idea is to use cheap dog beds, or cheap blankets or towels. and if they are soiled just dispose of and get a new one.

That is correct.
Most people don't use any bedding at all or just use blankets/towels.
As well if you do decide to use shavings, please use ASPEN shavings as pine/cedar shavings (Yes even the kiln dried ones) can cause serious issues even with birds and dogs.
You could try straw. Whatever you use, you need to be willing to clean on a regular basis.
How cold does it get where your rabbit is? What does this area look like? How sheltered is it? Will wind get in? Any extra layers for insulation?

Thanks, I'll probably stick with blankets then, sounds easier.

It doesn't get too cold. The area is completely weather proof, solid walls, so no wind, rain or sun will be getting in. It's quite comfy in there, like an room. It has a tunnel attached that leads outside to a large grassed enclosure which is fully secured (top to bottom, every inch is bunny and predator proof).

Outdoor enclosure...

Anyone had any success with grasses and/or white clover (read about WC on this site in a few spots).

We are in South Florida, full shade, and have tried everything from carpet to hay to grass and always end up back at dirt.

Our ground area is about 50 SF and they have a litter box which they use, most of the time.

The carpet lasted the longest and they didn’t eat it, surprisingly.

The seedling grass they dig up and eat as fast as it sprouted, and the layed sod squares don’t last, and eventually become a litter spot. A very big litter spot.

Ordered some “shade grass seed” online and we’re going to try and grow it first and then put down.

Any other ideas or tips?

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back