because i am a sucker

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragynflye

Reaction score
it was a case of "we got these rabbits for our kids, but they're not taking care of them. want one?" so meet the almost four month old flemish giant buck, formerly known as "tiny", new name to be determined. ariana, my three year old, insists his name is puppet, i want to call him attila the bun. we shall see! he's not been handled a whole lot, and is nowhere near as social as rue, but we're working on it. he is obviously grateful to have more room to run around. right now, he's living in our large dog kennel, and while that's not nearly as big as i would like, it's still more room than he had. whenever he comes out for play time, he's all about zoomies and binkies and stretching his legs! he's scheduled for a neuter next month.

i'm a little sad that i have to take my name off the waiting list with rue's breeder, though. i was waiting for a holland lop.

checking out goose's toys

biiig boy!

check out those EARS!

He's ADORABLE!!! Good thing you gave him a home, he has no clue how big he's really hit it now, lol. Congrats!

He is adorable :)!! I'm not sure if 5 months old is a great time to neuter a Flemish? I know it is a perfect time for "average sized" bunnies. I'd think Flemmies need a bit more time to mature. Maybe someone will come along with a solid answer on that :p.

i've been searching everywhere for more info on this, and i've not found anything that says they should be neutered later. of course, i've not read anything saying *when* they should be neutered, just that they should. i didn't mention his breed when i talked to my vet. i'll call them back tomorrow and see what they say. i know they don't want to do rue's spay until she's older, because she's so small.

Ahh he's adorable, so glad that you are giving him a better home. It's amazing how quickly they realize they have it better. My female I got trusted me right away, would lay completely stretched out while I petted her, the last couple days she's been doing the bunny 500 around the house, I love watching them.
I posted on your other thread but I think the vets usually have to wait longer w/ the smaller ones because of their weight, I think they need to weigh so much before they can give them the anesthesia safely, I've always been told that if the testes have dropped then it's ok. I have and have bred great danes and they also grow longer mature slower than the average breed dog and you don't have to wait any longer w/ them then any other dog to get them snipped. But yes, probably a good idea to ask the vet to make sure.

thanks, y'all!

LindyS wrote:
Ugh! People some kids need "plush" bunnies.
agree! my three year old helps as much as a little girl who just turned three can, and we call the rabbits "ours", but i know they are my responsibility. 'cause i'm the mommy, and that's my job.

Flemish take longer to develop but sometimes some people because of thier size do it earlier. For my own peace of mind I personally would hold off till he was 7-8mnths.

I had my Flemish spayed about 5 months old and her brother was neutered about the same age. My vet specializes in all sorts of exotics and keeps a flemish for a pet and it lives in his clinic. My vet prefers to alter them sooner than smaller rabbits because of their size. Do make sure your vet is comfortable with it. Her ovaries were higher up than the smaller rabbits and has a larger scare than he prefers but the fur covers it up. My girl did have a hard time immediately after and needed an appetite stimulator the day after but recovered quite quickly after she started eating. Boy was I a nervous wreck! Her brother didn't have any problems.

My "Tiny" (who was a flemish giant - it was a joke that we named him that) - was neutered around 4 or 5 months of age and he did just fine.

My girl got spayed around 4-6 months old. Flemmies are great buns! I think they tend to throw off rabbit size perception; My girl doesn't even look big to me anymore (~17.5 lbs).

i'm so excited at how fast he's coming around! he's started coming to the front of the cage when i walk in the room. when i open his cage door, he'll flop there so i can pet him, instead of running to the other side. when he's out, he'll let me walk up to him and touch him, but usually for no more than a couple of seconds before he runs off again. this morning, he took a treat from my hand! his cage is right next to rue's, and he's always watching her, so maybe he's taking lessons on how to act from her! i hope i don't have any problems bonding them when the time comes.

Latest posts

Back