Beauty is bald!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldoerr

Reaction score
So I was just clipping out some mats on Beauty. The more I cut, the more mats I found. I ended up cutting all of her fur off. I did a TERRIBLE job at it. She looks BAD. I did not cut her, it is just VERY uneven. I have been thinking ever since I got her that I was gong to shave her one day. I guess that today was the day for it. She had so much stuff hidden in her fur. Have you ever done anything like this to your animals? I will try to get pictures tomorrow.

Eeek! No, that hasn't happened to me. I had to clip one little spot on Agnes a few months ago. It was right under her chin and she got something there that I couldn't get out by grooming....I still have no idea what it was! Lol! Anyway, it was pretty small so I cut it out.

But as far as that many mats, nope I've never had that. I guess if Beauty's fur was that bad it's probably good to start fresh. I groom Agnes at least a couple times a week and she has never matted (except for the chin mystery) so hopefully you can prevent mats by grooming in the future.
Aww, poor lil bald Beauty. ;) Yes, show us pictures!!

I have had to shave totally matted rabbits before (not mine) and did shave my angoras. While they do look pretty funny, the fur does grow back quickly and they start to look good in a few weeks.
Long wool can hide mats and it can be hard to see them until you start cutting.

When you are grooming, make sure you comb down to the skin and not just the top. This will make sure all the fur is brushed and help prevent mats from forming. Using a blower helps too.

I find the mats happen mostly under the chin and around the bottom. I´ve clipped mats before because it´s sometimes too difficult to get them out but as it´s mostly where it´s not visible, I´ve found it´s OK. Mine is an angora mix and has very thick fur, have just combed him today and loads came out so I have to keep on top of it as don´t want him eating too much fur either. I think he´ll look pretty work shaven as I´m sure he´s half the size really that he looks :biggrin2:

Brushing the bunnies many times a day, everyday, is very helpful. Eventually you'll need to cut some off, but if you brush enough you might not need to do it.

I brush her often even though she hates it. I have groomed her in a coupe of good sized spots to the point that there is NO hair there. It just kept coming out with a little bit of pressure. I probably do not have the proper tools to groom her though. I have never had a long haired rabbit (or animal for that matter) before. What I am currently using on her is a metal comb that is older than me and a slicker brush, mostly the metal comb. Can somebody point me to a good tool to groom a long haired rabbit with that is reasonably priced (under $10)?

Latest posts

Back