Beauty=AHHHHHHH

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldoerr

Reaction score
Tonight as I was feeding veggies and giving fresh water to the rabbits (at midnight) I saw beauty FLIPPING over her litter box and dumping the contents EVERYWHERE!! I had been wondering why there was never any litter in her box and the cage was always a mess for over a week now. Now I caught her in the act. I had thought that the bedding was just getting caught in her coat and flying out as she got out of the box, but no, she is actually flipping the box over and spilling everything. (I use Kaytee Soft Granule Blend Bedding). Does anybody have any ideas as to what to do about this? She does a similar thing in Brenham (I am at my parents for Christmas). In Brenham I have the litter box with a carabeener through it and latched to the cage. I tried that here at my parents tonight, but the way that this cage is designed it does not work very well at all. There is not a good spot to latch it to. I have also noticed that even with the box latched to the cage, bedding is still flying everywhere because it is stuck to her coat. I MIGHT be willing to switch litters with her if you can suggest something that controls the smell A LOT (so I am not cleaning the box every day or two [I like to clean boxes at most 2-3 times a week]). I am NOT willing to try pine pellets, I have tried those many times and did not like the results (I was having to clean the box 2x per day or more because of the smell). Here is a sampling of the litters that I have tried and do not like.... pine pellets, corn cob bedding, aspen wood chips, carefresh (rabbits ate it), and possible others that I have forgotten. I am not willing to try those again. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Also litters that would work with a VERY smelly cat would be helpfull (see other thread in this section).

Sorry that this got sooo long, was not the intention.

What about zip ties for the litter box, would that work? You could use wire too as long as the cut ends weren't exposed to the buns.

Putting a grate over your litter would work the best to keep litter from being tracked out of the litter box. You could pick up the grating at home depot, and it's pretty easy to make. Just a little cutting to the shape of the litter box, then zip tieing or glueing some support legs onto the bottom and you're done. You could also try covering the litter with a layer of hay, if you don't want to do the grate idea.

For Foo I zip tied her litter box to the side of her cage. She would drag it around if it wasn't secure, and she would KNOW if it wasn't. lol
I use pine pellets, I've never had any problems with the smell. I also use a cookie cooling rack on top of the litter box so Foo was never in any contact with the litter. The poop went straight through the holes in the grate. I only zip tied one side of the grate, to make kind of a hinge effect, so I could scoop the soiled litter out everyday and then I would wash the litter box out once a week with vinegar and dump all the litter that was left. After I would scoop I would put a little bit of litter back to replace the scooped out stuff.
That seemed to work for me and Foo. I'm still teaching the baby to use the box. lol

As for the cat, which I think is in another thread? I tried my cats on the wood pellets, they didn't like it. Didn't want to use it, because it was probably uncomfortable on their feet and it didn't work on the smell either. Cat poop is awful. I would have to scoop their litter box as soon as they went potty. Now, they go outside like dogs to go potty. lol THAT is the easiest way and I don't have a litter box for my cats in my house.

All that rambling may not help, but hopefully you'll get something out of it! lmao

My kitten is strictly indoors. I spend most of my time in an apartment complex (where I live in Brenham). There are A LOT of weird, strange, cruel people there. Most of them are constantly drunk or high on something. I do not trust my kitten to go outside.

As for the grating on the litter box, I do not think that would work for a while. I will hopefully be building a new cage soon and then switching litter boxes. Also we looked at that light grating thing at home depot and it is EXPENSIVE.

the grating really is the best way to stop them from playing in the box ><

do you have a rock somewhere that weighs a pound or two and would fit in the litter box with enough room left for hay and a bunny? if so, you could weigh it down so that she couldn't flip it...

I zip tie litter boxes! I had a bunny that LOVED to throw her litter box around, its like she waited until I cleaned it and walked away and then caused havoc!
Zip ties! I was so fed up at that point, i didnt care how much money I was going to waste on zip ties! LOL!

wait, you know.. now that I think about it.. when I did that she started to DIG and get everything out. Yea yea, I remember, i ended up using a grate thing over her litter pan.

You said something about the grating not working and the light diffuser being too expensive, use a NIC grid over the box. Sometimes, different things work for litter boxes, other than the lighting diffuser. You could use hardware clothe. There are some kind of knitting things too or something like that. I can't remember, but someone uses them.
I also zip tie my litter boxes. But if she's digging then you need something on top. I agree with Jennifer, maybe put a rock or a brick in there or something to weigh it down. lol

I ended up a week ago zip tying it to the cage. It is a pain in the but because of the location of things in the cage, the place where I put the hole, the place that the litter box has to go, and getting the zip tie on and off. Today is the first time that I cleaned boxes since zip tying it. I also switched to Yesterdays News for her box, and it seems to be helping a bit.

She now refuses to use the litter box when she is out to run, no matter what I do. I have tried switching litters (giving it a while between). I have tried to move the box to the area that she puts most of her poop. I put the poop that she leaves outside the box in the box. No matter what I do she still does not use the box when she is out to run.

Latest posts

Back