Baxter! likes to dig and knip at me.. moreso since the kitten intro

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
I should know this and don't but Bax if I'm on the couch with a blanket over me he will LOSE his mind and dig at the blanket - if I remove it he is fine (hates the blanket? Don't think so)..

If I'm giving him his 20 minutes ofneeded/required nose rub time when I get home from work (required by him and happy to do so) -but ifhe's not done and I stop to check email he nips me.I'm always "shocked" (ouch, that hurts - shocked)and push his face away - he just comes back and nips me again, then if pushed away a second time- he'll start digging at whatever surface we're on?..

He seems like a spoiled child when he does this would like him to stop this behaviour, but he's gotten much worse since introducing the kitten to the mix (sibling rivalry I'm guessing). If he sees the kitten on my lap then he wants on the couch, etc.. understand this, but this particular behaviour happens before she gets attention..

I'm thinking the niping after quality nose rub time is supposed to be "nice"? and I just don't get it.. Or he's just a needy bun and wants 45 minutes of nose rubs.. Might have to bring lawyers into the mix if thats the answer - lol..

Any insight appreciated.

He's nipping you to keep you petting him. If he does this, I would put him down immediately. If you pet him after he does this, he'll only learn that nipping gets him what he wants.

Bunnies are masters at misplaced aggression -- e.g., biting their mates when another rabbit comes up to the pen. Very odd. Maybe the digging is just redirecting aggression. In my intensive study of 'Lagomorph', this is one activity I don't really understand.

The actual activity is instinctual, digging holes, ultimately tied to housing and self-protection.

Maybe its like a guy going off to hammer something when things aren't going his way.

They sure do get on a mission, though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycQIiA7dnKQ]Howards Big Dig[/ame]

sas :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back