Baxter has mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
Took Baxter to the vet today as I was pretty sure he has mites. The vet didn't see any mites under the scope (he thought he saw one really small one but wasn't sure) but he did see some eggs. So he gave me three doses of Revolution for Baxter.

I was wondering how many doses I should give him. Should I do one dose a month for three month? Or should one be enough?

My vet also suggested I try this new product. It is designed for dogs, but is all natural and plant based. It is called "Dermoscent" and it is a Omega supplement applied to the skin like the Revolution is. It should help Baxter's skin to heal from the mites.

Here are the ingredients:
Bio-diffusion agent, Olus (vegetable oil), gelling agent, azadirachta indica (neem oil), Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary extract), lavendula hybrida (lavenin oil), eugenia caryophyllus (clove oil), melaluca alternifolia (tea tree oil), cinnamon camphora (cinnamon camphor extract), mentha piperita (peppermint extract), cedrus atlantica (cedrus atlantica bark extract), curcuma longa (curcuma longa root extract), origanum compactum (morococcon oregano extract), gaultheria procumbens (gauletheria procumben's extract), musk, tocopheryl acetate, bisabolol.

Here is their website:
http://www.dermoscent.com/acheter-Spot-on-skin-care-for-dogs-&-cats_3.htm

Does this sound like something safe I can give him as a supplement? I want to make sure it is not going to harm him before I give it to him.

Also, Baxter has an enlarged kidney on his left side. The one on the right is quite small. So the vet wasn't sure if the left one was enlarged because the right one is too small and not working or if it is enlarged due to cancer or something else.

I'm going to keep an eye on it, and see if it gets bigger or changes. It is not painful for him and you can give it a gentle squeeze and he doesn't care.

-Dawn

I think you should do a dose of Revolution now, and then another 10-14 days later.

I am not sure about the Dermoscent. I checked the website, and I'm not sure if it's meant to be applied all over the skin, or just in one location. If it's applied in just one location, then it would be absorbed by the skin (like Revolution), and spread to the skin all over the body. Then we'd have to be a bit more careful in checking the ingredient list for bad stuff. If it's just supposed to be applied all over, and it isn't absorbed, it's probably not as big a deal.

Did they do any blood work to check his kidney function?

I gave Baxter one does of Revolution earlier. I have the kitten dose for 2.5kg and Baxter is 2.48kg, so that worked out very well. So I should give him a second does in 10-14 days?

We didn't get any blood work done at this time. He isn't showing any other signs of kidney problems and no pain. To be honest, I actually didn't think about asking for a blood test when I was there. If he does start showing any signs of pain or any changes in his pee habits, I will get one done.

As for the Dermoscent, I haven't applied it yet. It's applied in one spot and absorbed like revolution. It would be about a drop of the solution, so I don't think it would be very much tea tree oil, but it does concern me that it might be irritating. I'll have to look into it further.

-Dawn

Isn't Revolution every 30 days? I've only needed one dose, although they did re-infect each other so two may have been prudent.

Snuggle Baxter for me!

sas :bunnydance:

The on the box dosage instructions for Revolution says every 30 days. I have three months (well, two now) doses of it. If a second does was needed, then I was guessing it would be done at 30 days.

-Dawn

Oh I'm sorry. I must have given the dosing frequency instructions for the internally taken antiparasitics, like fenbendazole and oral ivermectin.

Latest posts

Back