Baxter! & Babs: A Dating Tail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, poor Bella was born into a Feral pack of cats that lived in the "Horrid" neighborhood of Century City/aka Bel Air-Beverly Hills and West LA? Apparently the wrong side of the tracks..

Have found in my 12 years of living here so many purebred animals that were just walking these "Mean Streets". One in particular was a Saint Bernard - Pi; He had a Dog tag, but the owners just up and moved and left him in the backyard of their estate and he had finally broken down a fence after 5 days of being abandoned. He was skin and bones, dragged my friend an I back to his home when we found him wondering the streets. I took him to the West LA animal shelter and they found from his tag that he had been owned and bred by a couple that had a purebred animal store here in West Hollywood! It had been closed due to too many complaints of health problems from people who purchased their pets.

Now in West Hollywood we have an ordinance on the books of our city that you cannot sell/breed purebred pets (nor fur, nor altering your pet for cosmetic reasons - such as changing a dogs ears, declawing a cat, etc.).

Poor Pi died 3 days after dropping him off as his stomach "turned" (Knotted off from not being fed for days). A West Hollywood Sherrif was at the pound when I took him in and was hoping to adopt him, this particular Sherriff really pushed through the banning of ridiculous thing people could do to their animals in our town. The owners of the purebred pet shop were brought to court and paid a fine - $1200. Sad.

Ooooh poor PI. Oh and people like that disgust me. They probably don't have to worry about money, yet this animal had to suffer for stupid reasons. Too bad they didn't get more than just a fine. I'm glad West Hollywood had that ordinance on altering pets for cosmetic reasons. I hate declawing.

I'm happy to report, that I've met a number of individuals in my neighborhood that rescue animals, and its more than not - Alot of dogs, a few cats and guinnea pigs (weird - ok pigs are small and easily housed, but I've met 3 that "rescue" pigs) are being rescued here is West Hollywood.

I only know this as my close girlfriend has a dog that I walk when she works late so then I get to know our neighbors (buns don't get you to know your neighbors in a condo/apartment neighborhood).

Nice to chat up rescuers, but I do get that weird look "You have Rabbits as pets?" sigh..

That's so cool that you are getting to know other rescuers! Most of the rescuers that I know are rattie people. It gets difficult to network bunnies in danger when others are into other critters. I still wonder if I have room for a rescue-chinchilla or a rescue-hedgehog.... :p

Piggies.... I guess you would still have to consider how 'disposable' the small animals are. I have two sets of boars I rescued, but to keep as mine. One set was literally on their way to the 'back room' when I said I would take them. They are the sweetest little guys in the world. I have no clue who would ever 'throw them away'. What ever you do, don't Google what they do with piggies in South America where they originally come from... Not good... :(

Well, on a much lighter note, I love the pic of Bax and Gab hanging out. I just love cuddle bunny pics. :biggrin2:I don't think I could ever get enough of seeing fur-kids taking care of each other. <----- hint for more cuddle-bunny pics***

I always thought Men being completely unaware and needy was a human trait - but Baxter! proved me wrong..

I came home from work the other evening and usually when I walk in I see the kitten Bella on the couch; bax runs up next and then his girlfriend Gabby. Saw the first 2 and went about my normal business of turning on lights, putting groceries away etc., but after this - still no Gabby.

I started calling her (which never really works with Gabs, she's a girl with the tude of I'll come when I want to - but I can always see her). so I'm looking behind things, in other rooms and nothing. Now I'm becoming alarmed, my mind wanders to 9th degree (she went on the patio and a Teradactly carried her away).. As I'm getting exasperated with my search I start questioning the other 2 "Where is Gabby? show me? The kitten finally picks up on my plea and runs into the bedroom hall; I open the closet and Tah Dah! Poor gabby was locked in the closet for 9 hours..

She runs out all happy - binkying about - she see's Baxter! and runs to him and tries to put her head under his for comfort and he challenges her on this try to get his head under her's first!! Really?

Gabby, realizing she is in a relationship with an idiot actually gave in and game him a few head licks and then he reciprocated..

Men...

Happy to report Jan, that no, Gabby only "Killed" a pair of boots that should have been put down years ago - she was obviously looking out for me in a fashion sense.

I have noticed since that horrid day that she is so much more "Caring" for Baxter! then previously. He is still unaware and that needy still, but she has really taken on a whole new persona of being "available" to me, the cat, etc. Not so aloof - weird.

That being said, I also catch Gabs chasing Baxter! around right on his heels, nipping him; sometimes seems mean spirited, so I'll intervene, then I stop and think - maybe he deserves it? Always wonder if stepping in is just screwing up the dynamic that is theirs, as I'll find them 5 minutes later deep in a cuddle fest? Its like a little bunny argument that I overheard. Silly creatures.

OK I've posted in the "Nurtiotin and behavior" thread that I am taking on the process of bonding my "Ray-Tag-Trio" pack of buns. And am rather excited/curious how this will go.

I've read the advice and researched the process on the interwebs and think it may be problematic? but think it just will take alot of paitence (learning curve for both buns as well as myself).

Fingers crossed people.. Will update my SUCCESSFUL attempt. :)

It AM so excited My Heart as well! I've exhausted every PM on this site as well as their advice of where to go (thank you Flashy). I feel like there is a happy ending for all of my buns, just will take some handling and what do Bun Guardians say - "Have Patience" which I do..

I've figured out that my buns will need to travel to my office as the spare office directly across from mine is vacant and they can work on issue for 9 hours a day, while I oversee. I'll take 3 carriers (one for Gabs/Bax, one for Harpo and 1 for the kitten).

That being said, I also have 1 cat that is friends to all 3 buns; if I do not include her in the bonding process are they/buns going to hate her when they come home? She is the only one one to roam between the downstairs/upstairs areas.

Of the 4 animals I have she is the worst one to take to my office; she shuts down, does not eat or drink water; but then she's always been to my office alone (she only had to come when she was fixed and then when she needed her stitches removed and needed to see the vet).

Know most of this board does not care to much for cats, but this cat is a friend to my buns, and am just trying to think forward of "obstacles", such as they become aggressive with the cat as she does not smell like them; or they the buns come home and the cat is freaked out that she was alone all day.

Tell me if you know of or dealt with this situation; thinking all 4 animals are going to the office and stay in 3 seperate areas for the day..

Should be fun?! lol..

I am not sure I have advice for you. I understand your dilemma though. I have a difficult enough time taking a bun to the shelter for dates and destroying their routine for a day. I makes me feel so bad wanting them to be happy in the long run.

If kitty is that bonded to the bunnies, then I think I would take her along. She might actually be the glue that holds them all together, being a neutral friend. But then again, I think you said that kitty was the peace-keeper... Then her role might be to break up tussles if she decides to become active in the dates. Maybe she will be too busy keeping track of her bunnies to worry about not eating or drinking.

I dunno... just thoughts...

Good luck!!! :biggrin2: I so hope you end up with a most wonderful trio, er... quad... ;)

Thank you My Heart for responding.. I'm in that position of scratching my head when it comes to bonding my animals.

I think, the Cat is a individual to consider; this is my pack/warren to consider. Bringing in another, she feels to me, like something that must be added into the equation. This is just my dynamic, and think it will be fine, and actually helpful in the end once I understand what everyone is trying to say.

Would like to hear from other cat/bun owners how they deal with relationships?

Thank you Jan for checking in.. Means alot. I'm still in the "Plotting Plan" mode.

Am rethinking taking my motley crue to my office (4 animals in 4 seperate carriers will take me "How lONG?" I am lazy and scared about the whole process); am now thinking of "Repurposing" space at my home. I give my dining room new hardwood floors, then all animals have a neutral space. Yay! simple - done. Right?

This will take me putting in the floors myself, however I have installed many light fixtures, electical switches, even fixed a large screen TV when the color wheel went bad. So I know I can fix things - just nervous with buns as I've read SO many bonding stories and alot were great and some never took.. And since the bun Harpo is from the shelter and was "discarded" as he was so aggressive (misunderstood) I do not want to expose him to another bad experience. sigh..

I realize/or am "self aware" that I'm being hesitant to jumping in, bonding Buns seems scarey to me.

Just trying to figure out the BEST way to make this a good meeting; and realize in the end you just have to give it a try. I think I'm calm enough to deal with the process, just want a ZEN area, moment for each animal.

Once I get the power saw (ordered online) I'll have no excuse, and while waiting for it I am moving forward to prep said area. :shock:

Pray for me - lol.. :pray:

Things are good here in LALA land. Never received my Jigsaw to put in harwood floors :X And when I thought I must travel to see my family this spring, is not an actual good time to travel away from home and get your disconnected bun family bonded? So, what do you do?

I enrolled all 3 buns in a "Bonding Seminar" with the President/Director of the Rabbit Rescue group that I worked with (Zoohcorner.org.) fantastic indivuals, check out their site.

I have all confidence that this can happen - or if not, she'll have an alternative suggestion. :pray::pray::pray::pray:

I'd love a happy "Hollywood Ending".

Wish me luck.

So are you leaving them at the rescue while you travel? I have given some thought to trying to get our 2 pairs of bunnies together in the course of a long road trip. I will be moving in the next year to destination unknown, but likely to have a long car ride. I am thinking it might be a good time to do some bunny bonding in the car. That's how we got our Cali and Ms. Frida to get along after a few rough bonding sessions in the bathtub. We did about 4 car rides and although there was fur flying at first, they ended up snuggling together by the 3rd one and no sparks flew on the 4th. I think if buns are put in the trunk of a car for long enough together (provided they don't get too scared, of course, and there's a human there to supervise), almost any inter-bun differences can be resolved.

Hi TH: The buns will be staying at "Comfey Bunny Bed & Breakfast" aka Cat Logsdonshome. She is the President of ZoohCorner.org (the bunny rescue I volunteer at) and has an established B&B for buns at her home. Everytime I've been to her house she is in the process of bonding someones buns. Her homecould be described as "Bunny Disneyland" as she has SO many areas for buns to romp and play outdoors, withall the fun castles, tubes, etc a bun could want. There is a seperate guest house that is setupsome what like aHostel fortraveling buns.

I fear they will not want to leave - lol.

I am SO HAPPY to report that I have a bonded TRIO! I took Baxter! Gabby and Harpo to Cat Logsdons "Comfey Bunny B&B" (the Bunny Whisper) 11 days ago and she made it happen!!

Picking up my new Warren/Pack tomorrow and SO!! excited. Have seen video and photos of their trial, and it warms my heart.

Tomorrow, I'll have "3" running amuk, Lord Help Me! :? Can't wait!

Latest posts

Back