Bandit: rabbity antics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, it looks tight around the chest in the photo, but I know nothing about how to fit a rabbit into a harness or how much of that is his fur being compressed, not him.

Yeah, I have loosened the chest one since that fitting. Though I could fit a finger easily under it, it still just didn't look right. I think it's just going to take some experimenting :)

Ok, time to post again :p This week has been crazy busy, and it's completely exhausting. I don't like to have too much stuff going on because I just get exhausted from too much social interaction, unlike some other people I know who thrive on it, I'm the opposite. So that's been draining, add onto that the fact that I had to fork out $200 for a new car battery, stupid European car that takes a special battery here. That car has been nothing but a headache since I bought it! For once I'd actually had about $200 saved at the end of the fortnight after bills etc, and then the car battery just had to die. It really upset me actually because we've been struggling with money a bit so it was nice to have been able to say that I'd managed to save some... but what can you do.

In good news however, about two nights ago I went and sat in with Bandit for a long time, petting him, feeding him pellets etc, and I got not only my second set of licks from him ever, but also my third and fourth set too! :D It was really sweet. He came and laid down next to me, and was climbing on me too. Was a nice bonding session I think. I was worried when I got home from work today because I went into the laundry and Bandit was laying down in what looked like a bit of a funny position, and he didn't even lift his head or anything when I opened the door (which is very strange for him) and he hardly moved when I went over to him either. So needless to say I became a very worried bunny mum very quickly. Now however, I've let him out into the hallway and kitchen and he's eagerly destroying cardboard and fussing with the gate to try and get through. Standard Bandit behaviour! He's never happy with what he's got, always wants more, lol.

A bit of drama here today. In less than 24 hours, Bandit has ruined both of his play time areas. Yesterday evening he destroyed the barrier preventing him from accessing and pulling at the carpet and he had already pulled up a tiny piece before I realised, so that has him banned from hallway and kitchen playtime until I can work out something else. So today, I set up the pen on the lawn again, he was pretty happy, hopping around, doing binkies and 500's. Then he raced and did another binky, and went straight into a jump after that which sent him clear over the 65cm high fence... So now he also has himself banned from outside pen play time! Which leaves me with the option of hurrying along with his harness and leash training. My other option is to also have a makeshift roof on the pen outside with a piece of shadecloth, I've done it before but it was for shade, not out of necessity :p My boy is just determined to get into trouble, too much ambition!

I could also invest in taller fencing, but that's a lot more cost and he might still end up sailing over the top of that too!

oh Wow Azerane, Bandit is adorable! <3 Love his fur! I was popping on this forum to look for rabbit advice etc and saw your blog. I didn't know you had a rabbit--this is Frodo Lion from DA! :) Good luck with the harness training!

Oh hey there! :D I've only had Bandit since February this year, hadn't had a rabbit for several years before then. The internet's a small place, lol. Thanks so much and good to bump into you. This is certainly the best forum for rabbit advice that I've ever come across.

Really excited right now. The Night Parrot is a native parrot of which there have only been a handful of sightings since 1979 and a couple of dead specimens found. It has never before been photographed, until now!! They're still checking the authenticity of the photos, video and audio recording, but I'm really hoping here! It was only a matter of time before someone managed to find and photograph one, but this is really exciting. Pretty much an enigma, the holy grail of Aussie birds! I'm so excited it's ridiculous. lol.

In Bandit news, I've been gradually introducing him to greens again, we've been starting off with silverbeet and cos/romaine lettuce. He's loving both so far. I've also started working on some tricks with him. We've started with "up" where I get him to stand on his hind legs and today we tried "Spin". All is well so far, he's adorable! :D

That's awesome about the parrots! Sounds similar to the Ivory Billed Woodpecker being found a few years ago in the States! Let us know how the training goes--I've never trained Pipkin before but learning that you can... I'm a bit curious. Pipkin has learned years ago to beg when I'm eating though :p

That is so great about the birds! I hope they do get some pics and vids of them! Reminds me I hope they get a video of bigfoot! Yes I believe that bigfoots exist.

I hope Bandits training goes well. I've never trained Ash either but I'd like to. I'd like to train him to come ti me when called and sit when I pat on the couch. Basically I'd like to train him to do everything a trained dog would do. :p

Thanks guys, there should be more news about the parrots on either wednesday or thursday I hope :D

Bandit's doing pretty well with his training, though I've noticed he's a bit like a cat with it. If he doesn't feel like it, he won't do it. Unlike dogs who are all about the food, Bandit is happy to have the tasty treat, but he's also happy to hop off and do something else instead of "Up" lol. Still, he does it pretty well. The harness training has also been going great, the other day when I put it on him I got him to do "up" while wearing the harness, and he did it, so he's a good boy :) Still considering whether I should buy a clicker or not, I mean it's going well so far, but the clicker is that immediate confirmation that he did something right.

In other news, one of my wisdom teeth has been having a real go at me the last 3 days, just constantly aching and throbbing. Have to call the dentist tomorrow because it's just getting ridiculous.

I got some great painkillers from the dentist today for my wisdom tooth :D My mouth is still sore, but it's not throbbing like it was constantly before. So thank goodness for that.

Bandit spent sooo long licking my hand today, I spent a while petting him and then he just would not stop grooming me! It was absolutely sweet and adorable and really cheered me up, but it was also very funny that he just kept going. That little bunny tongue feels quite funny! Also, I'm not sure whether it's Bandit, or whether it's our washing machine, but there's a bit of a funny smell in the bunny room and I'm really hoping that it's not his scent glands... I really don't want to have to clean them, and not really sure I'll be able to. I might check to see whether it is them, but as for cleaning them out I'm not sure. If I leave it for a little bit is he likely to clean them himself? I sure hope so, lol.

Bandit also seems to be quite enjoying the training too, when he wants to do it, he does "Up" pretty much instantly. In conjunction with that I've also started working on "Down" and also "Paws" because sometimes when I hold the food he's been lifting his paws up to pull my hand down towards him. Still can't decide whether to get a clicker, it's not really necessary, but I feel it would help isolate the exact moment he does the right behaviour. I mean, it's not like they're expensive, will see how he continues to go I suppose :)

I know! Their little tongues always feel so weird when they are grooming you, lol. Sometimes Ash would lick my pants to death and they would be soaked, lol. It is really cute when they do it though.

Hope the training goes well, it seems to be going good so far. I really want to train Ash to do some cool tricks too.

I don't know whether the licking thing is a phase or not, but he suddenly seems so intent on it lately, could he perhaps be feeling like a bit of a romeo, even though he's neutered? Maybe something to do with that musky scent that I've been smelling in the laundry lately, although Bandit himself doesn't seem to smell.

We've been working on nail trimming yesterday and today. It's going alright, I'm not restraining him to do it so I've been rubbing his head while sneaking in a grab at his paw and trimming a nail or two at a time. The inside nails on the front paws have been the hardest to get to so far. But he's been fairly good about it, he's only freaked out once on a cut and that was when I cut one of his nails on his hind feet. The hind feet are going to be tougher because he doesn't like them being touched as much as the front feet, something we'll have to work on :) But so I don't forget what I've trimmed so far and where I'm up to, I've drawn up a little diagram of rabbit feet with claws and cross out a claw once I've clipped it. Saves remembering which claw I'm up to especially when it's not always easy to do them in order.

So, Bandit hasn't peed out of his litter box in forever. In fact, the only time he's done so is when his butt hangs over the edge which hasn't happened in at least two weeks. So today, I sweep out and mop his room. Within an hour of me putting him back in he's peed on the floor :vacuum: Why, oh why?!?! Also, I got it on my fingers.... not fun. Do you think the smell of the vinegar I used in the water made him want to mark the floor again with his smell?

Another quick update, there will be more photos soon I promise!! More harness training today. I actually gave him a different reward for having it on today, and that was that I got everything set up to let him out to run around, then I went in and put the harness on him and then let him out as his reward. He was quite happy running around with it on, flopping out etc. I even put the leash on for a little bit which he didn't seem to mind, only when it brushed against his ear and even then he didn't chew it, just wanted to push it out of the way.

I mentioned some time ago I was reintroducing him to greens. Well he's now getting either half a lettuce leaf (romaine/cos) or a small silverbeet leaf every day. He doesn't have problems with either of them which is good. If only my parsley and coriander had grown into huge bushes I could introduce substantial amounts of those too, might just have to buy them unfortunately and use my plants for the occasional treat.

I still can't work out what the smell in the laundry is, I'm assuming it's from Bandit, though he doesn't seem to smell himself. He has been acting a little different lately, in that he's been grunting a bit more and more all over me than usual, so perhaps he's just a little frisky at the moment. Do neutered bunnies get frisky? lol

Been a while since the last update, but there's not a huge amount to update on, and I still haven't taken any more pictures! It was amusing because we had some pet play pens at work, and they got reduced and I was waiting until pay day to get them. Pay day rolls around and I'm looking at the catalogues we got in the mail and I see the exact same play pens I already have, for $15 less than the play pens I was going to get from work! So I scrapped getting the ones from work and bought two from the other place, saving myself $30. They're pretty much identical, different packaging, and maybe 1.5cm shorter, but the design is identical, which means it's nice to have them matching and they'll attach together easier. So I'm pretty happy about that. So I now have 24 panels to work with, which is handy. While I was at the store, I also bought two small polar fleece rugs with paw prints on them. Bandit has a super bad habit of putting tiny little holes in his towels, but he doesn't seem to put holes in the fleece, he just seems to enjoy pushing them around and digging at them.

Today when I had him out running around in the hallway and kitchen, I accidentally knocked a glass jar off the cupboard. It was extremely lucky that Bandit wasn't in the kitchen or that part of the hallway at the time, and I'm actually glad the sound of it breaking scared him, because he went and hid in the box that he was next to (instead of coming to investigate). The first thing I did was rush over to lock him in the laundry. Then I began the tedious process of moving all his stuff and sweeping and vacuuming the whole area for shards of glass. I'm glad that's over.

I go into hospital on August 1st to get my wisdom teeth pulled, I'm not really looking forward to it, but it has to be done. And it will save any future awful pain. I only hope that Wendell arrives soon so that I'm not feeling horrible the whole time that he is here! Bandit and I are both looking forward to when he visits.

So Bandit and Wendell have been getting along well, I won't post any pics of them together here as I think Wendell will want to post those in his blog thread ;) However, Soooska was kind enough to send Bandit and I some gifts along with Wendell. I got a cool Canadian keychain and Bandit got too very spunky bandanas. Bandanas for a Bandit, I like it ;) We're going to have to work on the whole getting them on him thing, but I draped this one over him just to show it off! I think they might actually work if I attach them to the harness when he's wearing that instead :)

In other Bandit news, he's still smelly. It must be his scent glands, I don't really want to flip him over, but I might have to to avoid paying the vet to do it. Besides that, he nails the trick "Up" every single time, unless he just doesn't feel like doing it which isn't often if I have treats. And yesterday I really feel he started to understand what I want from him when I try to get him to "spin" as he did pretty good with it yesterday and ok today. We've also done a bit more harness training with the leash on, he doesn't really like the feel of it bumping against him, but he just has to get used to it. Once again I'm using his free run time as a reward for wearing the harness etc. I put it on him and then let him out.

Anyway, enough chatter. Have a Bandit. I swear he wasn't as terrified as he looks, lol. Wish the flash hadn't gone off but I thought I'd had it off. Nevermind.

IMG_1156 Bandit Bandana sm.jpg

Good to know you and got Wendell and some extra gifts. Bandit is so adorable wearing that thing. Sorry he's starting to smell, lol. Hopefully you'll be able to clean him yourself.

Great to see so much news from Bandit and love that bandana. Yes, those scent glands start to smell. They´re easy to clean but really smelly. I had to clean all mine a while ago. Nail clipping is something else that is tricky but with the right clippers, it´s not too bad and I think they do eventually get used it, mine have.

You´ve got a jumper, it´s amazing how they find their way out of some places. The enclosure you´ve bought sounds great. I´m waiting for my local store to sell the same one I bought before so I can make mine bigger.

Glad the training is going well, he´s one smart bunny, I think most of them are much smarter than we give them credit for and they learn things really quickly.

Sorry, your wisdom teeth are playing up, hope the op to remove them goes OK.. at least the pain will be no longer.

Latest posts

Back