Bandit: rabbity antics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bandit has been using the oz-pet litter tray and the wood pellet litter for 3 and 1/2 weeks now and I've been so pleased with it (less smell, much less wastage etc) that I sent a review to the company. I got an e-mail back today thanking me, they asked if they could put Bandit's image on their facebook page and wanted to send me a free bag of litter! So I'm pretty happy about that.

In other news, I bought this adorable wood block bunny calendar.

IMG_1898 Bunny Calendar.jpg

Good that they replied and love the idea of Bandit on their facebook page, do you know what it´s called, I want to have a look lol. Good of them to send you free litter. I use the wood pellets and they are so good, hardly any smell. When I was away, I put a dig tray in Houdini´s cage but he decided he preferred to pee in there. The smell when I got back was terrible.

That little wooden calendar is so cute. I´m always on the lookout for bunny things in the thrift shops.

Long distance relationships must be really hard, they say there are pros and cons to everything. Having said that, with today´s technology, it is so much easier that even 10 years ago.

There are pros and cons to every relationship, but long-distance is certainly not for everyone. I probably wouldn't do it again if given the choice. The facebook page is called Oz-pet litter, but they haven't put his picture up yet. I'll keep an eye out and post here when they do.

So today (November 1st) is Bandit's 1st birthday :D We celebrated in bunny style and I made him a special salad wrap. I put a mix of all the herbs inside, wrapped it in a leaf of silverbeet and tied it with a piece of coriander, he devoured it in no time at all.

Happy birthday little man <3

IMG_1900 Bandit birthday treat.jpg

IMG_1916 Bandit 1st Birthday 2013.jpg

IMG_1905 Bandit 1st Birthday 2013.jpg

Happy Birthday Bandit :birthday:dancingorig::bestwishes::hugsquish::adorable:

Yes, looks like he enjoyed his treat and he is so photogenic and such a handsome boy....hope he gets spoiled rotten today :kiss:

Happy birthday, Bandit! Birthday nose rubs for you :)

That wood block calendar is beautiful! What a great find.

Someone in my rescue group developed a litter box just like the one you have and he sells it online through some already popular bunny websites for US customers. Some people find it very useful and saves them money on hay and litter. Kudos to these folks who come up with such nice ideas.

Sent from my mobile phone

Thanks guys, he has been super spoiled this last week. The salad was more greens than he usually gets in a day but I really want it to be a daily thing and I'm working on increasing it again.

Glad you all like the calender too, knew as soon as I saw it thatI was doomed to buy it, lol.

Kirbyultra, the litter tray really is amazing and is saving me a lot of litter.

Going back to work is exhausting! I had all of October off from work, then I work five days straight and I can tell you I'm feeling the effects, lol. I just have to get back into the swing of things. It doesn't help that I have to get up at 5am for work on weekdays... I received the sample bag of litter from Oz-pet today, it's 5 kg so it's a decent sample and will help keep me going for a while longer. I did notice, that on the delivery e-mails I received about the shipment, that it was coming from a company called Aus pellet heaters. This is a company I looked into buying pellets from, so they must be the people that supply pellets for oz-pet to sell under a pet brand.

Bandit updates:
1. Yesterday morning I came downstairs to feed him and realised that he'd been on top of the washing machine overnight. How did I know? I found the toggle for the blind pull cord on top of the washing machine, instead of still hanging on the cord where it is supposed to be :p This was a little concerning for two reasons; the first being that he could have chewed through the washing machine power cord again (have since devised a way around that in case he ends up there again) he also could have destroyed the blinds (I may need to pull them up at night), and secondly, I'm very worried about him hurting himself when he jumps down from there, it's about 90cm high and he's jumping onto tile with all sorts of objects on the floor (his food bowl and tunnels, toys etc).

2. I have come up with a way to stop him messing with the gates/fencing when I let him out in the hallway etc to play. He used to constantly fuss with them, try to chew on them and lift them etc. Not only was the sound annoying, but sometimes he would escape, I was worried about damage to the walls and he would focus on it so much that he wouldn't do anything else. But, I have since discovered that if I put a phone book on the floor right against the gate, he just has to destroy it!! It took him 8 months to get his previous phonebook which is kept in his room to being halfway destroyed, but he did the damage in the picture below in half an hour! He certainly had fun, lol.

I have actually been considering baby gates, firstly because they're more secure and he wouldn't be able to mess with them, secondly I wouldn't have to step over fences all the time, and thirdly, I'm assuming it would take me 1/4 of the time to set up and take down his play area every time. I'm not sure on it yet though, while I think they'd be great, I'm just not sure I should be spending the money on them.

IMG_1918 destrcution.jpg

He certainly is a little escape artist and that is a big jump but Houdini could probably manage that as well and yes, I´d worry more about him hurting himself than anything else.

I tried a baby gate for the living room door but the one I bought didn´t work for me but I was able to take it back and get a refund so maybe if you could do that, it might be OK so if it´s not suitable, you can always return.

Mine love phone books as well but sometimes they are so messy lol.

Bad day today, and I feel awful about it. As I mentioned before Bandit has been jumping up on the washing machine. He did it a couple more times and chewed some more pieces of blind. So to avoid that, last night I pulled up the blinds and hooked the pull cords around so he couldn't access them. I came home from work today to find the window frame very damaged by his chewing. This is a huge problem because I'm renting. Because I have no way of preventing Bandit from jumping up on the washing machine (I don't want to put something up there because if he tries to jump up I'm worried it might fall on him) and I have no way of blocking the blinds/window frame without permanently securing something, I had to put him back out in his hutch today. It was absolutely awful, he spent the first ten minutes reaching up the sides, trying to reach his way out and kept hopping back and forth. The whole time I was petting him and trying to get him to relax, then after a while I had to put the lid down and then he kept reaching way up and pushing his face against the mesh. I felt completely awful and was a wreck afterwards, but he seems to have settled down now. Still, I feel awful, he's used to having so much space, and now he only has that hutch. I can still bring him out everyday when I'm home, but he won't have the constant space now.

I just have to figure out if I can fix it now. I may be able to touch it up with some putty and paint it and hopefully it won't be noticed behind the blinds, it's about the best I can hope for (although I think I have an inspection next week or the week after). I told my fiance and he suggested replacing the piece of frame, but he's chewed three different pieces and one of them attaches to the window winder and lock and it would be a lot of work. I just feel horrible because in a way I feel like it's my fault, since he only started this problem while we were away on holiday, and then I was away over the weekend and didn't spend hardly any time with him yesterday, I feel like if I had he wouldn't have done it.

Looks as though he´s really enjoying himself, he is such a handsome boy, I just love his colouring and that cute little bunny nose :hearts:

Bandit says thanks! :D

We went to Bunny Club last night. First time we'd been, it's a group for pet rabbit owners which is run in conjunction with SA rabbit rescue and adoptions. Bandit wasn't happy about being in his carrier for so long, but I got to have his claws clipped there and the lady who runs it used to breed Smoke Pearls and she thought Bandit was super handsome, which made me proud :D

Also, I got peed on by another rabbit, lol. I was cuddling with some of the adoptable young rabbits, and I guess I had the one on my lap too long and he just couldn't hold it anymore :p I knew it was coming too, the shift in position, the tail lift, but it was all too late. So that was fun, haha.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated in a while. There hasn't really been anything notable happening, Bandit is still his same cute little self, mischievous as ever and we've been going for lots of walks. He was lucky today because I spent some time with a friend and she was showing me her veggie garden and pulled up her carrots, so I got the tops. Or rather, Bandit got the tops. He's only had a little so far, I wanted to test him out on it before giving him too much, but I'm not sure how long they last in the fridge.

I realised that living on my own and not having Christmas at my house I really needed some Christmas spirit in it, so today I went out and bought a super cheap ($15) 1.8m tree and a whole bunch of cheap decorations so that it will at least feel like Christmas :) I'm very much a lover of real christmas trees, but they're quite pricey. So fake it was :)

I will post a photo of the tree once I've got it all decorated. Maybe I can convince Bandit to sit nicely under it or something for a photo, lol.

Always love hearing about Bandit. I´ve just put my Christmas decorations today but no big tree. I know that my three wouldn´t leave it alone so I bought a little fibre optic one and it really does look pretty and no chance of them getting to it so makes me happy.

Bet Bandit would look super cute with a Santa hat :spintongue

Real Christmas trees do cost a lot of money! We have a fake one we put up every year as well, and sometimes I decorate a real pine tree that's growing near our house. Yes, maybe Bandit will pose under the tree for you. That would be an adorable picture. :)

^Once I've tidied up under the tree I might give it a go, he might just be curious enough to sit still for a brief second.

Just another quick update, we've had some pretty serious weather here the past few days. Wednesday was 38C, yesterday topped over 43C (over 110F) and today got to around 38 again. Needless to say, Bandit has been inside full time, fresh water, fresh greens to keep him hydrated, and that beautiful thing known as air conditioning :) It's actually really sad though because I follow a local rabbit rescue group on facebook and the lady said she's had hundreds of calls regarding heat suffering rabbits and has heard of so many passing away because of it. People just don't seem to understand how serious of a situation that is. Even if they don't want to be out in it, they let their pets out in it. Very sad.

I definitely have the cutest rabbit in the world. We went outside for a walk, I tried taking a bunch of selfies of us, without much success because he doesn't want to sit still when he's out there. We were outside for probably 45 minutes, which includes lots of running around and binkies and 500's. When we got back inside, I unclipped his lead, he ran straight around the corner, jumped in his litter tray and did the biggest dead bunny flop I've ever seen, lol. He looked so adorable, content and just worn out. So then I got him a fresh lettuce leaf from the garden and rinsed it to give him some moisture and he gobbled it up eagerly while I gave him head rubs :D

Here's a photo of us :D (Phone quality, also I'm sad I didn't fit his ears in, but it's really difficult when there's not an actual button to take a photo and you have to press the right spot on the screen.. which is facing the other way, and also your bunny keeps trying to run elsewhere :p)

BanditAndMe.jpg

^Once I've tidied up under the tree I might give it a go, he might just be curious enough to sit still for a brief second.

Just another quick update, we've had some pretty serious weather here the past few days. Wednesday was 38C, yesterday topped over 43C (over 110F) and today got to around 38 again. Needless to say, Bandit has been inside full time, fresh water, fresh greens to keep him hydrated, and that beautiful thing known as air conditioning :) It's actually really sad though because I follow a local rabbit rescue group on facebook and the lady said she's had hundreds of calls regarding heat suffering rabbits and has heard of so many passing away because of it. People just don't seem to understand how serious of a situation that is. Even if they don't want to be out in it, they let their pets out in it. Very sad.

Pets that have HOT fur coats, no less!

What a gorgeous boy he is! Every time I see his picture, I'm struck by how beautiful and unique his fur coloring is.

It sounds like he enjoys his outdoor adventures. Lots of good exercise that got him nice and worn out for his daytime nap :)

I'm glad you both are keeping cool. What would we do without AC!

He looks a bit shy in the photo like, that´s not my best side. I too like Jenny am always struck by his beautiful colouring, he is such a handsome boy.

Glad he´s managing to keep cool, hope you are too lol.

Latest posts

Back