Bandit: rabbity antics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that would be a possibility with mine but I just so love it. They do some fab things at this place for bunnies, love the chew toys but will to have a go at making them myself.

^I've been meaning to make some chew toys myself. Bandit spent much of yesterday afternoon renovating his current cardboard home, apparently one of the entrances was too small :p I've also recently put those foam mats down in the laundry for him to give him traction and a softer surface (he seems to like it, he can race around and do better binkies), but I've found that he's sometimes been chewing on them. Only once during the day, then in three spots one night (I had him inside for two nights when he had a bit of a stasis issue). He doesn't eat it, he's just been chewing on it and I'm worried he might accidentally ingest some, so if it continues, I'm going to have to figure out a way to prevent it. And I can only tell him off if I actually catch him doing it.

Otherwise, I feel we've been making good progress bond-wise. In the past couple of days he's just started lowering himself down sometimes, and lowering his head in that submissive/want to be petted pose. He sat for 10 minutes in that pose the other day while I just kept petting him, and I'm getting a lot more teeth purrs etc, it's really sweet. He's such a big cutie, he hasn't groomed me back yet, but hoping we'll get there. He does lick the floor though... :p

Attempt number one at cutting Bandit's nails: Failed. xD He's just so wriggly, he doesn't like sitting still in my lap at all, so I move him into position, grab a paw and line up for the cut but he doesn't sit still for more than the two seconds that takes. Then he started getting annoyed so I think I lost. I might have to try leaning him onto his back to trim them, I could do a burrito, but can't see it being easy to extract a paw from there and I get the feeling he would want to nip me.

Last edited:
We left Bandit inside overnight last night, all was fine when I left for work. I get home from work and it's like a war zone, pieces of foam everywhere! Looks like he had a great time shredding large chunks of his foam mats :p We need to work on that, lol.

Not much else to report, tried giving him some simethicone with a plastic syringe, it went everywhere. For the second dose, I dribbled it onto a piece of parsely, offered him a clean piece of parsley, then once he went to take it, quickly switched it out for the one with meds on it, lol. It worked, and I rewarded him with the clean piece after. Saved him the stress, and me the chance of a nip.

My bunny Ash would NEVER let me clip his nails either. I've tried he wriggles and squirms its no use :sigh:. I think I'll have to try the bunny burrito, and if that doesn't work I'll be forced to put him in a bunny trance or get a vet to do it.

Naughty bunny chewing on the foam. I guess you'll have to work on that :p. I'm glad you got the simethicone in to him, hopefully he'll feel better soon.

I tried the trance, but he obviously wasn't properly tranced, because I had only done one nail and he wiggled himself out of it. I managed to clip a couple of nails later on, I let him run around for a bit to expend some energy and had some success in clipping, I also managed to clip one of his nails while he was DBF in his room lol.

I gave him two does of the simethicone last night, and cut out his salad this morning, he already seemed brighter last night and has been looking/acting good today and nothing but healthy poops! He also barely chewed on the foam at all today, wondering if it's just coincidence, or whether because he was feeling ill, chewing on the foam was an outlet.

I set up his run on the lawn today (for the first time in a couple of weeks) while I gave the laundry a proper clean out. He had a great time, and did lots of bunny 500's. When I was done cleaning and brought him back inside, I cleaned out his litter tray, first thing he does when I bring him inside is a giant pile of poo! Couldn't have done it before I cleaned the tray!

He just wanted to show you how good his poop is looking now, in a clean tray so that you were sure to notice, haha. I'm glad he's feeling better :)

I HATE clipping nails, and my rabbits are about due for their next clips too. I have one bun that is especially difficult cause she bites. I have to cover her head, pin her between my legs, and procede with caution. It's a trick to do her, let me tell you. It'a always nice, and a relief, when they're all clipped and done.

Bandit is slowly becoming a more integrated house bun :p We had him on our laps on the couch, then let him explore the couch and when he went to jump off we saw no reason to stop him. So now he's currently out on his second adventure in the lounge room. He does lots of binkies and 500's and seems to love it. Yet he also loves chewing the carpet, which I have been disciplining with claps/thumps/gently pushing him aside/substituting toys, in the hopes that he'll get the idea. All in all he's been pretty good though, no accidents, though he hasn't even gone yet. The good thing is, we can section off places where we don't want him to go, but he still has access to freely go in and out of the laundry where we usually have him. I'm hoping to use that to my advantage, and one time when he goes back on his own will, I'll just put the gate back. The last couple of days, he's also started making little grunting noises. I haven't a clue what they mean, but they're adorable.

I want to get him neutered soon, might have done it already had not his stasis, car repairs and the power bill (with those lousy connections fees) come as a bit of a surprise :p Also, once I find my camera charger and clear space on the memory card, I'll take some photos of his set-up and try to film his happy lounge room binkies =)

At the fodder store today, I picked up a couple more bags of hay and asked them about their bales, cost and best way to store etc. So next time I get hay, I'll get a bale instead, $14 compared to $6 bag. Then I'm going to get a large plastic container, put some vents in it and store it in that in the shed.

So... Somebunny escaped during the night, got past all my defences and found his way to the only thing he decided to destroy... My laptop cord. Thank god I've been religiously turning the power off at the wall since he started spending nights inside. I know this is only because we started letting him into the lounge room too. He never had an interest before. So I'll be back once a new power cord is acquired.

Phew, lucky that you had the power turned off. Once Ash was in his cage for the night and there was an extension cord laying across his cage. And he somehow managed to chew it but luckily nothing bad happened to him.

It's funny though, because there's so many other chewables in the room but that is the only thing he touched. Still waiting on a replacement for it. I'm going to have to create him an elaborate cardboard castle, because all he wants to do now is get behind the couches, and I just don't see it going well :p I've also had to resume putting him back outside in his hutch at night and when we're not home. I didn't want to, but he's been compelled to jump out of the laundry whenever he wants now, now that he knows the fun lounge room is just around the corner. I could close the door on him, but I worry that because he can't see out he'll just jump at the door and chew things etc, and I don't know if making the gate taller will discourage him since I already know he can jump much higher than he currently is.

Hmm, I don't think I'd be opposed to closing the door on him. I mean when I first found Phoenix I didn't have a cage for her since I had a bun at the time and couldn't keep them in the same room. I kept her in my downstairs washroom and just kept the door closed since I had a feeling she'd pee all over the baby gate (she wasn't spayed at the time!) and jump over. During the day I kept it open but at night in she went and she was always relaxed when I opened the door, plus that washroom never had a window in it so I wouldn't be overly concerned if I were you ! :)

What a naughty Little bunny...mine used to chew the power cord but never got right through it so I was lucky. They did chew numerous telephone cables and mobile chargers and Snowy chewed through the TV cable but I fixed that.

Mine love cardboard so will entertain themselves with that for hours. I was going to use the foam tiles but am not sure that they wouldn´t chew those so haven´t gone there yet.

Good thing is they all now let me cut their nails with not too much hassle. A nice craisin is waiting for them at the end lol.

What a naughty Little bunny...mine used to chew the power cord but never got right through it so I was lucky. They did chew numerous telephone cables and mobile chargers and Snowy chewed through the TV cable but I fixed that.

Mine love cardboard so will entertain themselves with that for hours. I was going to use the foam tiles but am not sure that they wouldn´t chew those so haven´t gone there yet.

Good thing is they all now let me cut their nails with not too much hassle. A nice craisin is waiting for them at the end lol.

I don't know why but recently mine have REALLY gotten destructive and started chewing the tiles! Its making me :pullhair:
No but seriously, I need to get them more toys, they just destroy everything and it's weird because I think they're getting more out time than they ever have so they shouldnt be behaving so destructively :p

I use foam tiles, he likes chewing up the edges of those too!

Ugh, starting to get so frustrated. Ever since we started letting Bandit out into the lounge room for short periods of time, he's been a nightmare. I'm not sure how much is hormones, because he's recently started grunting and circling us as well, but he's become quite destructive. But here's the problems I'm having, I like letting him out into the loungeroom, but he gets into these moods where he gets so set on pulling up the carpet or getting behind the couches (which we restrict him from because of cables and don't want him pulling carpet back there where we can't get to him). Since we started letting him into the loungeroom, I've done it every day, but I don't do it for too long because he often starts that destructive behaviour. Now, when he's in the laundry, which is where he's been kept most of his time with us so far, he's disruptive, constantly at the gate shaking it back and forth, trying to lift it up or push it away to get out. After we first let him out, he used to jump the gate onto the chair I support it with, but I turned the chair so that the back of it makes the gate higher. Now that he can't jump it, he'll sit there for 20 mins shaking the life out it. :banghead We even went to a different pet store the other day and found a couple of really cool bunny toys, great for chewing, and I had hoped he'd take to them instead of the carpet, but no.

For a while, Bandit was being kept inside 24/7, I'd seen no reason to put him back out in his hutch except to clean out his room etc. Since he started jumping out etc, I didn't trust him not to get out when we're in bed or not at home, so I started putting him back in his hutch during those times. He's ok at night, but during the day he's holding everything in. He eats, he drinks, but he will not poo or pee, it's like he's being stubborn and trying to prove a point. Yesterday, I cleaned his litter box at 9am, at 4pm, seven hours later when I got home, he hadn't done a single thing. I brought him inside into the laundry straight away, and within 1 minute he was on his litter tray, peeing and leaving a giant pile of about 40 droppings. :dunno: Aside from getting him neutered, which I'm hoping to do this week or next, I'm at a loss for what do do. When he decides to do something bad, he gets so focused on it that even if I scold him, push him away, scare him with a noise etc, he just continues or goes straight back to it like nothing happened. It's a pain because I want to let him out to run around, but we're in a rental and pulling up the carpet is a huge problem. :surrender In addition to that, since he's started getting let out into the lounge room, he's also started struggling violently any time I pick him up or put him down, we'd gotten to a point where he was always ok with it and never struggled with me, now it's practically every time again and it's upsetting.

:rant:

Ok, got that out of my system, how is everyone today?

Bandit's big, big, big day is on Thursday! In other words, snip snip. I'm going to have a grumpy bunny on my hands after, I just know it. I'm also getting him microchipped at the same time and they're going to cut his claws for me. I can't wait for those hormones to settle down a little :p

Good Luck! I'm sure everything will go fine, and I'm sure it comforts you that neutering is much less invasive than spaying and most bunnies make it through spays. I'm sure he will be less grumpy but it will probably take a month for those hormones to calm down. Good luck with the microchipping! And with the nail cutting! I hope he doesn't get very scared at the vets office.

Good Luck! I'm sure everything will go fine, and I'm sure it comforts you that neutering is much less invasive than spaying and most bunnies make it through spays. I'm sure he will be less grumpy but it will probably take a month for those hormones to calm down. Good luck with the microchipping! And with the nail cutting! I hope he doesn't get very scared at the vets office.

Thanks, I know he'll pull through fine, will be nice to have his claws properly clipped, I managed to get some of the front ones done, but he's just too wriggly and his dark nails are tricky. I know it will take a little bit for the hormones to go away, but the sooner he's neutered, the sooner they'll be gone!

I know that he's going to be terrified. Since our first visit to the vet the first vet shook him out of the carrier, after that he was absolutely terrified and he got out of my grasp, took a bad leap off the table and split his lip. :( I asked for a different vet the time after that, she was much nicer, gave me more of a chance to pick him up out of the carrier, though he was still terrified. The second vet is much nicer, friendlier, kinder, explains more things, asks lots of good questions etc. I'm going to ask for her every time in the future. I can't even believe that the first vet we saw would have done that, especially to a rabbit.

It is scary to do this but mine were all fine and back to normal in no time. You will notice some difference straight away but over the next month or so, you will notice a distinct improvement, I´m sure his hormones will settle down and they are much cleaner. It´s good that you´re more confident with this new vet and they are answering all your questions. I´ll be thinking of him Thursday and will be waiting for news.

Latest posts

Back