Bananas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my goodness….they are so adorable! I can see how much they enjoy their treat of banan! That’s how Minx eats too. But it seems like you are giving them quite a bit???
I will give small amounts two times week. I’m afraid of upsettting her health in any way!
I will watch her poop etc.
thanks for your info and sharing the vide! So cute!
My bunny loves apples and bananas. I usually give her a snack of fruit she likes 2 or 3 times a week. I usually cut the banana up into 5 small pieces and the apple into several small pieces.
Thanks but Minx does not care for apples 🍎 just bananas 🍌 I will try the 5 small pieces twice a week and see how that goes
Thanks so much for your input 👍🥴❤️💕🐇🐇oh and she does get a very small donut shaped treat when I get kisses on the nose; which is daily🤩🐰🐰

Thank you, Their names are Lily(brown) and Bella( white). Sad to say that Bella pass away last year. Lily is 8 years old now, but she continues to be a lover of bananas, apples, carrots, tomatoes, oats, and greens. I use the fruits as a treat every other day at about 5:00 pm. She always comes out around 5 waiting by the kitchen to get her treats. It is so cute. Sometimes she comes out an hour early and I have to say Lily it isn't time yet. She runs back to the bedroom and comes back later. She is just adorable.

Thank you, Their names are Lily(brown) and Bella( white). Sad to say that Bella pass away last year. Lily is 8 years old now, but she continues to be a lover of bananas, apples, carrots, tomatoes, oats, and greens. I use the fruits as a treat every other day at about 5:00 pm. She always comes out around 5 waiting by the kitchen to get her treats. It is so cute. Sometimes she comes out an hour early and I have to say Lily it isn't time yet. She runs back to the bedroom and comes back later. She is just adorable.
What would we ever do without our Buns?! I can’t imagine!!!

But it seems like you are giving them quite a bit???
The end of the video clarifies the amount given. Total given during that session was about a 1 inch slice. That 1" was shared by the 2 rabbits. It was half-pea size bits being offered.

So, to be clear, a 1" slice of banana would be the max per day for a daily treat. No other treat should be offered that same day. A single apple slice would be the max but not on the same day that any other treat is offered. To offer both on the same day, one should reduce each portion by half.

The general rule of thumb is 1-2 tablespoons worth per day max.

Last edited:
I give her up to a quarter cup but some days not even quite that much because she does eat lots of greens
It is rabbit pellets 12%
What brand/type of pellets?

The ideal amount of hay would be an amount the same as her body size being consumed every day. One way to encourage more hay eating (since it should make up the bulk of her diet) would be to refresh the hay a couple times per day. Something about adding hay (instead of waiting for it to be gone before refreshing) will often have the effect of getting them to eat it.

What brand/type of pellets?

The ideal amount of hay would be an amount the same as her body size being consumed every day. One way to encourage more hay eating (since it should make up the bulk of her diet) would be to refresh the hay a couple times per day. Something about adding hay (instead of waiting for it to be gone before refreshing) will often have the effect of getting them to eat it.
I give her fresh timothy every day and it’s still there at night
she sticks her nose in it as if she’s looking for the perfect piece but seriously eats maybe 10 pieces, if that, in a day. She’s never been a hay eater.
when she was younger (she just turned one year old) she would eat a bit but not now.
Ive even put her pellets in it thinking she would eat some hay trying to find the pellets.
she poops lots…good poops and pees and is happy and loves to cuddle…
is there another type of hay I could try? In the summer I pick lots of different grasses and she eats that…does that do what the hay would do at all? She appears to be healthy but dont know how to force her to ear hay. Sometimes I do hand feed her some hay but after a few she grabs it and throws it!,,,several times!!!
any other suggestions? someone? Is Minx the only bun who doesn’t care about hay?
I appreciate any suggestion!

Grass is good as hay, so when that's available, that's great. There are a variety of grass hays one can try for when fresh grass isn't an option. Timothy, brome, orchard, meadow, bermuda...all are good choices. Some rabbits will prefer a particular type.

I give her fresh timothy every day and it’s still there at night
she sticks her nose in it as if she’s looking for the perfect piece but seriously eats maybe 10 pieces, if that, in a day. She’s never been a hay eater.
when she was younger (she just turned one year old) she would eat a bit but not now.
Ive even put her pellets in it thinking she would eat some hay trying to find the pellets.
she poops lots…good poops and pees and is happy and loves to cuddle…
is there another type of hay I could try? In the summer I pick lots of different grasses and she eats that…does that do what the hay would do at all? She appears to be healthy but dont know how to force her to ear hay. Sometimes I do hand feed her some hay but after a few she grabs it and throws it!,,,several times!!!
any other suggestions? someone? Is Minx the only bun who doesn’t care about hay?
I appreciate any suggestion!
PS I will try the adding several times a day but I don’t have much hope…😱😢😵‍💫🥴🐇🐇
Grass is good as hay, so when that's available, that's great. There are a variety of grass hays one can try for when fresh grass isn't an option. Timothy, brome, orchard, meadow, bermuda...all are good choices. Some rabbits will prefer a particular type.
thank yiu I will see if I can track down a couple of these
I love her and would do anything for her to
Keep her happy and healthy
Thank you so much 😊

PS I will try the adding several times a day but I don’t have much hope…😱😢😵‍💫🥴🐇🐇

thank yiu I will see if I can track down a couple of these
I love her and would do anything for her to
Keep her happy and healthy
Thank you so much 😊
Well I put fresh in her condo
And I hand fed her about 5 and then she threw them
Then….she loves her tunnel! I threw a handful in there and she ate quite a bit!
So I threw another handful in and she’s been nibbling!!!
I will do that and see if she will continue to eat it in her tunnel! Like who knows these things?? Like where is it written???hay must be served in my tunnel!!!! Seriously? Like go figure!!!
Will keep you posted and hopefully it’s not a one day thing with her🙏🙏💕❤️🥰🐰🐰

Hi all
Hoping you can help me…I gave Minx a small piece of banana last week and now every time I’m standing by the kitchen sink cutting something she runs over and stands tall thinking it’s banana! It was an apple and I offered her some but no interest there!
So how often and how much can I give her?
I don’t want to do anything that is a negative for her.
Thanks so much
Yvonne mom to Minx
Our bun is a banana addict but anything more than a sliver gives him less than optimal poop. We now just separate a portion of his greens on occasion and rub them with a cut banana to give him his fix. We tried dicing a banana slice and tucking them randomly in greens leaves but he would find them all in 10 seconds and get that "hopped up" look in his eye, making it less than safe for us to walk by ;]

Rubbing a banana on anything healthy are now his only treats lol, that dummy.

Latest posts

Back