Baling clover for Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roo1234

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone would know but I think it’s worth asking. At my house we have 5 acres of clover, the rabbits love it and it’s better for them then hay apparently. I was wondering if there is a good way to bale/dry clover for winter. I am currently drying clover but only in small batches and it’s hard work.

Isn't clover a legume not grassy hay-type plant?
I wouldn't really dry it to replace hay full-on, but i bet it is an enticing little treat to the buns. I do this to herbs and some other grasses to later sprinkle onto "old boring" hay and it works wonders.
Our patch of land has all sorts of strawwy grassy hay type plants and i harvest&dry them as well, but not enough to get a supply to last through winter. It is also a drag to do this (though dad showed me how to use an electric bush cutter so it is faster, but still...) i get it.
If the hay right near you isn't good enough, have you tried looking further away? Have you tried planting some haygrass yourself?
Besides that, i don't really have any idea myself.

My dad planted alfalfa with the clover but none of it is growing, next year I’m going to get some seeds to grow grass or something. There is a food/mill place close that I’m thinking of getting hay from, my mom was just like you should use the clover instead because it cost less money then hay 😏 I will do some more research one the hay 🧐

We have tons of clover, and likewise tons of outdoor bunnies! My boys love it as a treat when I happen to pick some from the backyard. The stuff in my yard I can guarantee has no chemicals or anything.

The outdoor bunnies eat tons of it, and they all seem fine! 😂 It's probably not good for all-out replacement of their hay, but it's nice to give them something fresh and different every now and again!

Latest posts

Back