Balding near base of neck/between shoulders?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybun

Reaction score
Hi All,

Was grooming Winston today and noticed that his bald spot is getting bigger. The bald spot was there when I first got him, and when I took him to the vet, she said that it wasn't mites. But it's definitely gotten bigger since I've last had a good look at it, and I'm wondering if anybody else has had a balding rabbit with no sign of skin disease? Should I take him back to the vet?

That's often the area where you will notice a molt starting. As long as the skin doesn't seem warm to the touch, red, itchy, irritated or flaky/dry, it's probably nothing to worry about. Molts sometimes take awhile to work their way through, especially if the rabbit is on a low protein diet.

Hi All,

Was grooming Winston today and noticed that his bald spot is getting bigger. The bald spot was there when I first got him, and when I took him to the vet, she said that it wasn't mites. But it's definitely gotten bigger since I've last had a good look at it, and I'm wondering if anybody else has had a balding rabbit with no sign of skin disease? Should I take him back to the vet?
--things to watch and inspect for,,-inspect the ears,back of head/face,and down spine for any signs of what looks like ground pepper--this would be evidence of flea,s--watch for excessive chewing,or scratching of said area or bum..--molting is usually starting around tail or spine so time will tell,watch skin area as mentioned,--with rabbits all things are a possibility..-sincerely james waller :sunshine::hearts::bunny19

Thanks for the replies! Winston has already gone through his molting stage, his coat is a nice dark blue now! As for signs of itching, flakiness, and fleas, it doesn't seem like anything is wrong. He doesn't scratch or itch the spot a lot, but it is weird that he has a bald spot there.

OakRidgeRabbits, you said it might be because of a low protein diet! What are some ways I can get him more protein?

OakRidgeRabbits, you said it might be because of a low protein diet! What are some ways I can get him more protein?

Rabbits molt regardless of the diet they're on. However, being on a low protein diet seems to prolong molts and keep rabbits in a looser body condition. A little trick for pushing rabbits through molts before a show is to up the protein in their feed just a little. So it could help pets too.

A 15-16% alfalfa-based pellet is generally a good pellet for the maintenance of adult rabbits. 16-18% is used for show/production rabbits, usually.

As long as your rabbit is within that range, it should be okay. If not, you could bump up protein a little by supplementing with alfalfa hay or a sprinkle of calf manna over the pellets.

Latest posts

Back