Bald spots please help:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miffythebun

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My poor Wookiee has had these bald patches for 3/4 weeks now and they seem to be growing bigger- I would have normally taken him to the vets but I haven’t been able to due to being on lockdown and having to self isolate. A vet looked at it early on and said to bring him back as she was giving him a vaccination and couldn’t give him anything further. The bald spots are either side of his ears and are growing down his back. His ears are a tiny bit waxy but not anything majorly concerning! I check him over regularly and they’ve never shown signs of scabs or pus or anything- they don’t look like mites or fleas- he is itching a little behind there so it could be that he’s itching it and it’s not regrowing? Not sure if he’s been getting too hot and malting a lot?? I am keeping the windows open in his room as much as possible. They’re not hurting him and I can touch them without him caring. It’s very odd!! No fur seems to be regrowing it’s just soft skin. I feel so sorry for him I wish I could get him to a vets but it’s just not an emergency as he’s not in pain, is well in himself and eating/drinking/ playing all as normal. Any and all kind help appreciated please! XBC6FB82D-5E5A-4788-87AD-88EE5F9A63E2.jpeg77AB43EA-BE9D-4097-B7D6-449D078B4B64.jpeg90F8E914-95F1-4F5D-A8E4-4FF620EBBBBE.jpeg

Is he going through a shed? I’ve heard that a lot of rabbit might lose a lot of fur, causing bald patches/spots. If he’s scratching it, there must be something that is bothering him.
https://rabbit.org/journal/4-9/skin.html
He’s not scratching more than normal but he just often scratches and cleans himself a lot- always has! I did think it was just a malt but it’s just been quite a few weeks now with no signs of regrowing! I might phone a vet later in the week.. thank you for your help!

How old is he? Especially in young rabbits this is normal. Behind their neck usually has very thin hair, often my bunny gets little bald spots and they take a couple months to grow back, currently she is shedding her coat maybe your bunny is too! If he seems unbothered by it, that is probably what it is.

Are you seeing any dandruff, redness or irritation, scaling, or lesions on the skin? Does the scratching at the ears seem more than normal ? You say the ears are a little waxy. Is the ear wax darker than normal, are there red spots or other signs of irritation inside the ears? Seeing visible dark colored ear wax can sometimes be an early indication of ear mites.
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

How old is he? Especially in young rabbits this is normal. Behind their neck usually has very thin hair, often my bunny gets little bald spots and they take a couple months to grow back, currently she is shedding her coat maybe your bunny is too! If he seems unbothered by it, that is probably what it is.
That’s really relieving that it can take months to grow back- it has been hot in the house too I should imagine he is shredding- he’s 1 and a half!

Are you seeing any dandruff, redness or irritation, scaling, or lesions on the skin? Does the scratching at the ears seem more than normal ? You say the ears are a little waxy. Is the ear wax darker than normal, are there red spots or other signs of irritation inside the ears? Seeing visible dark colored ear wax can sometimes be an early indication of ear mites.
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm
Thank you for your reply! There’s not been any Dandruff or scabbing or redness or signs of irritation at all! The wax is just a little bit and it’s a normal colour- nothing that’s particularly concerned me at all. I have been checking every day as this was my first thought- hopefully it’s just shedding but I’ll keep checking him everyday for any scabbing or changes in his ears. Thank you!

Hey, did you see a vet? did the fur grow back? my bunny is having something similar, but instead of one big patch, it’s small patches on the back of her neck, close to her ear, and the fur on her ears is getting thinner, it’s not growing back..

Hey, did you see a vet? did the fur grow back? my bunny is having something similar, but instead of one big patch, it’s small patches on the back of her neck, close to her ear, and the fur on her ears is getting thinner, it’s not growing back..
Heya! We didn’t go back to the vet- were still in lockdown here and he’s fine! It grew back over a bit and now he has it again actually because he’s going through a shed but I’m sure it’s just because he’s malting. He’s completely fine other than that. I think as long as your bun is acting normal and is eating and drinking and pooping and the skin isn’t irritated or has any flaky bits your bun is probably fine! <3

Heya! We didn’t go back to the vet- were still in lockdown here and he’s fine! It grew back over a bit and now he has it again actually because he’s going through a shed but I’m sure it’s just because he’s malting. He’s completely fine other than that. I think as long as your bun is acting normal and is eating and drinking and pooping and the skin isn’t irritated or has any flaky bits your bun is probably fine! <3
Hi there! My bunny is also going through a moult right now and the fur on his back/neck is super super thin to where I can see his skin, and when I brush him that is where he loses most of his fur. Is this normal?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 8.24.42 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 8.24.42 PM.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back