Bald spots large areas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuppa

Reaction score
Hi, I recently adopted 1 year old spayed girl who is quite fluffy and good-looking, but when I took her for brushing/checking I've found a large bald spot on her back behind her neck, because she's fluffy you couldn't see it but it is quite large, no irritation but like 2 inch square. She's quite clean girl uses her toilet and her feet are clean but there were a few matts around her private area, and I carefully removed them they came off without pressure just used baby comb and my fingers to loose them. But after I removed them I turned her over and suddenly found large large large bald area above her tale and tale itself is bald from top side, bottom side is covered alright, and area around her tale is all bald, it looks horrible but you can't see it when she walks as her long fur covers it and you'd never notice. Also no fur on bottom of her belly.
I messaged her owner she told me she's always had bald spots and no fur on her belly because after her spaying they were removed.
Honestly it doesn't look good at all and I would like to talk about it, first thing I would like to know if that could be due to allergies or it can be contagious I don't want my other rabbits get ill. I am thinking of visiting vets but I have two rabbits waiting for their neutering and when I get enough money for that so spending on vets wouldn't be my plan atm or at least I want to know my options before I get her there, what tests they would do etc, and how urgent that would be.

She came from a very clean house maybe a bit too clean maybe they used too much chemicals or perfumed puppy pads etc, her blanket smells like perfumed.
Her long hair was just trimmed for some reason maybe matts or something, it doesn't look great but her fur looks and feels healthy soft and clean. No bumps or scuffs on her skin, she is a bit underweight but she eats like crazy she is doing great comes to me sits on my lap and liked brushing and I clipped her nails as well I think she likes me, she's just always hungry I am very happy she eats so well and hay and pellets I mixed her pellets with mine and second day she ate all, she poops well too.
I will try to take better photo of her this evening so you can see the bald spots. It's 3-4 days she's here.
I'd be grateful for any thoughts, thanks in advance

Must be a skin disease. Though she is looking normal but she can die yet. Remember, rabbits are very good at hiding their health problems.
Fur loss in rabbits with no other lesions can have many different causes, including fur-plucking, barbering, hormonal problems, and previous localized inflammation. Fur-plucking in the neck or dewlap, belly, and leg areas occurs in pregnant females who are close to delivery, to line their nest. Even pseudopregnant females sometimes pluck in that area. Fur-plucking may also be seen in cases of nutritional deficiency such as when they lack sufficient fiber in the diet.

Latest posts

Back