Bald spots help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allyrose05

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the site, but I’m hoping someone can help me. I got 2 rabbits this summer. A part mini lop part Holland lop (Buttercup) who I got in June when she was 6weeks old. A few weeks later I got a 6week mini Rex (Houdini). They do not cohabitate. They’re in the same cage technically but have access to their own levels and aren’t sharing the same space. I’m worried though because Houdini has developed these two bald spots on the back of her neck right behind her ears. She doesn’t have any dandruff and the fur isn’t patchy it’s just completely bare in those two spots. Both girls have molted before but this has never happened and they are my first rabbits. There’s also a black spots in each bald spot. Are they moles??? Is it fungus? Mites? Idk. If it was mites wouldn’t they both be affected? Or is it maybe from stress? She is a happy bunny and well taken care of, she has been eating and drinking normal, and feces look normal. However, buttercup can be aggressive towards Houdini. She tries to bite her anytime she is close enough, which is why I separate them. I also let them out to run around at separate times, and Houdini is still very social and doesn’t seem anxious at all but maybe she is losing fur from stress? I’m just not seeing any pictures online that look like her bald spots and the influx of information I was reading about rabbit diseases is scary lol. Sorry it is hard to see the spots in my pics but Houdini thought I was trying to pet her and she loves her forehead being petted and to get kisses so she assumed that I was also trying to do that lol she’s very affectionate.

Attachments

• 26646C0F-BFC6-48CB-8BB2-D8A8A8C2AC39.jpeg
    26646C0F-BFC6-48CB-8BB2-D8A8A8C2AC39.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 3
  • 93FFD0FD-380D-493F-B708-6F42A6B736C1.jpeg
    93FFD0FD-380D-493F-B708-6F42A6B736C1.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1B80F2F3-9A08-48EA-9CD4-E729D17F038F.jpeg
    1B80F2F3-9A08-48EA-9CD4-E729D17F038F.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 3
Is this new growth?? I’m just worried because this hasn’t happened before when she has molted previously and she has been bare for a couple of weeks now

Also the bald spot on the right hand side (left side of her body) also has a small black spot but I know my picture kind of suck, sorry

Are the black spots tiny short hairs? It could just be new fur growth.

Possibly if she can reach that area with her mouth, she could be overgrooming it due to skin irritation from mites/fungus. But usually with these you will see skin dandruff, crusting, and/or lesions of some sort. If the skin looks normal pink and healthy, it could be something a little more serious.

Baring this being linked to molting, and with there not being any signs of skin problems linking it to mites or a fungal infection, it looks to me like your rabbit could possibly have bilateral symmetrical alopecia. It's pretty rare, but from your photos the signs could match, so certainly possible.

If it is this, if your rabbit isn't spayed yet, there's a possibility this can be linked to ovarian disease. If it's this, you may also see thinning fur around the genitals, and the nipples and/or genitals may also appear swollen. Provided it's not reproductive cancer that has spread, getting her spayed could solve the issue.

Thymoma is also a possibility, especially if you've noticed any signs your rabbit is breathing harder and faster than usual, on a regular basis, and may also see her preferring to sleep or rest her head in an elevated position on top of something. Though due to your rabbits younger age, thymoma seems less likely. Either way, you really need to have your bun seen right away by a knowledgeable rabbit vet. They may just need to do a skin scraping. If it's mites then it's easily solved with medication. If it's not, then they may need to do a skin biopsy, blood work, and/or xrays, to determine what is causing this.

Medirabbit (bilateral alopecia in rabbits)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Hormon/Alop_bilat_sym_en.pdf
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

@JBun Thank you so much for the quick response. She can’t really reach the area and besides the black spots the skin looks healthy. She’s not acting like she’s bothered by it, she lets me touch it w no problem and I don’t see any dandruff or chafing that would indicate mites.
Also I’m not saying the spots aren’t new growth but I’m almost sure it’s not new fur. It seems more like a mole to me tbh that’s what I first started googling trying to figure out what’s going on with her.

So as for alopecia, I know it’s common in rabbits, but I hadn’t heard about the symmetrical alopecia and I didn’t know it had to die with their hormones and could be linked to bad reproductive issues. Neither of the girls are spayed yet because of COVID. I don’t know their exact aged but they are young, b/t 9/10 months. I looked at the medirabbit links you attached and it honestly does seem similar in a couple of pictures. The spots are symmetrical on both sides of the top of her spine. I will call to make an appointment with a local vet asap and hopefully I can get some definitive answers and make sure she’s okay. Thank you again for your help, it’s very appreciated!!!

If it is happening because of a reproductive issue, because she's young it hopefully is just due to a hormone imbalance and nothing more serious, which spaying should take care of.

Latest posts

Back