Bald spot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujub793

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that Willow had a bald spot on her neck behind her head. The skin is pink and I don't see anything there like scabs or bugs or anything....? She is molting right now but I don't think that is it. I have been taking her and Walter outside but like I said I don't notice lots of scratching or anything. How can you tell if it's mites? Are they visible with the naked eye! I noticed today the spot is quite a bit bigger. She does share a cage with Walter and they are both "fixed" so I don't think she's nesting. Any ideas?:confused2::?

If it is mites, you'll need to go to a vet. I think you could probably see them with a good magnifying glass. We've had a couple of our older buns go bald behind their head like that during a molt--vet could give no real reason for it but said there were no problems.

Mites commonly occur behind the head/neck and are only visible with a microscope. Generally white flakes can be seen in the area. Kitten flea powder can be used for treating mild cases.

I've had a couple rabbits develop bald spots on the back of their neck like that--at least one was because she had been rubbing the back of her neck on the bottom of her door every time it got opened. I quarantined the rabbits that showed it, just in case (they were isolated cases, not several at once), and then applied antibiotic ointment to it as needed (they can't really clean there, so what you put there usually stays for a while) until the hair grew back in (a week or two).

thank you for the input. i am/was getting concerned because it seemrd to double in size overnite, does that happen with mites or fleas?

Try some flea spray or flea powder and if your really worried go see a vet. I think it will just be because she's molting. Most bunnies get this behind the head and on the neck. It could be because she's scratched the fur off if it's hot there. I reccomend getting her checked out if you're still concerned after trying the flea treatments.

Hope this helps :)

Latest posts

Back