Bald spot, bit of blood

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlebuns

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve just noticed my rabbit Dylan has a circle patch of missing fur about 2cm/just under an inch in diameter on his back :( . His skin is quite pink. There is regrowth of short furs on one half of the bald patch. The other half is bare, and there is a line of scab/blood around the perimeter of that half of the bald patch.

I thought it might be from brushing but the one time I over brushed him :oops: the patch of skin was a paler pink than the skin patch now.

Both my rabbits have recently had their 2nd calicivirus vaccine as it is every 6mo.

Could this bald patch be a negative reaction from the vaccine? :confused: I don’t think it’s caused by overgrooming as Frank and Dylan seem to be quite gentle with each other :)

Should I make a vet appt or monitor the situation?
14755870-268C-4BD7-BA8E-8593DBEF03CC.jpeg536AE631-8DA2-4801-B337-BE6B85119E22.jpeg

If it's around where the vaccination was given, that would be the most likely explanation as sometimes a reaction can occur that results in irritation to the tissue with lumps or a sterile abscess occurring.

Other explanations could be the fur getting caught on something and ripped out, your rabbit overgrooming the injections site due to skin irritation, or overgrooming by your other rabbit.

Potential skin issues to watch out for would be that it doesn't start healing, but worsening with lesions and/or dandruff forming on the skin. A circular patch of missing fur can point to possible ringworm. If there is any chance it's this then you want to take care in handling your rabbit and washing your hands afterwards. If it is ringworm, this would need diagnosis and treatment by your vet.

If it's around where the vaccination was given, that would be the most likely explanation as sometimes a reaction can occur that results in irritation to the tissue with lumps or a sterile abscess occurring.

Other explanations could be the fur getting caught on something and ripped out, your rabbit overgrooming the injections site due to skin irritation, or overgrooming by your other rabbit.

Potential skin issues to watch out for would be that it doesn't start healing, but worsening with lesions and/or dandruff forming on the skin. A circular patch of missing fur can point to possible ringworm. If there is any chance it's this then you want to take care in handling your rabbit and washing your hands afterwards. If it is ringworm, this would need diagnosis and treatment by your vet.

Thanks for the reply! I thought it might have something to do with the vaccine, though they didn’t have a reaction to the first shot :confused: but I’ll definitely monitor the bald patch and if it does not start healing I’ll ring the vet

Just an update! Yesterday I was patting Dylan and felt something bumpy under his fur and he sprinted away when I tried to investigate. I immediately brought him to the vet and, yep he had a reaction to the calicivirus vaccine. The bump I felt was scabbing on his skin. He’s got a shaved patch right now and he’s been prescribed ointment and oral medication every 12hrs. He’s a bit grumpy but should heal up in no time! Very relieved to know the cause of his skin problem…

Latest posts

Back