bald patch and flakes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatum

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with combing out lots of hair with dandruff like chunks coming out and ending up in some places with bald patches.

I suspect this is some kind of parasite, but I cannot see anything moving. I have a vet apt on Friday morning but just wonder if anyone in this forum has had it, at least I would have an idea. I have a suspision it may have come from the straw or hay or do you have any ideas how it is (transferred)? Hope it is not too terrible as I have eight rabbits in 4 different cages 6 outdoors and 2 indoors.

Thank you to all that respond..Tatum

My guys got mites a few years back...I didnt notice too much itching but they started to lose hair down the spine.

I have no clue how they got it, theyre indoor bunnies. We took them to the vet and the vet couldntsee anythingbut suggestedwe treated for mites just in case. I used an over the counter flea/tick spray for small animals 2x a day for 10 days.Plus I used a carpet treatment on the area where their cages are.

They cleared up after that. What an icky feeling though!

Thank you both! That pretty much what I thought it could be. Thanks again. I'll read up on the site. Tatum

Agh I am so glad someone has posted about this! I am brushing my bunnie now and I had found a very large bald patch that is hidden under her fur, and flakes of skin coming off her. The patches look very dry. I cant see any mites on her either, but I am going to buy some flea stuff tomorow! My poor baby :(

I hope you have sorted yours out!

Linz, are yours indoor buns? I can't remember. If they are, like Haley said, it's kinda weird that they could get them being indoor buns, hhhmm...

Linz_1987 wrote:
Agh I am so glad someone has posted about this! I am brushing my bunnie now and I had found a very large bald patch that is hidden under her fur, and flakes of skin coming off her. The patches look very dry. I cant see any mites on her either, but I am going to buy some flea stuff tomorow! My poor baby :(

I hope you have sorted yours out!
Be EXTREMELY cautious buying over the counter flea stuff. Read through the material in the above links VERY carefully, there are a lot of ingredients out there that can seriously harm a rabbit. Many have died from the wrong treatment.

sas

Bo and Clover just had them. You can't see these mites at all. I'm sure it is the same - poor bo was bald in spots and Clover's head was bald for months before we figured out she came with them! We're sure that's how they got them - since she was wild.

I got a tube of IVERMECTIN for horses at my local TSC (Tractor Supply) and gave them just a pea sized drop on their mouth - ticked him off - she liked it. :?She's tiny and did well with it.

I waited 2 weeks and did it again. Clover has a full head of hair and Bo is working on getting his coat back in order.

Neither had a bunch of dandruff ever. Just a few flakes and their hair came out in clumps in spots.

I also think mites were bad this year for some reason in the Ohio Valley region. I've heard a lot of people having had them.

My bunnies are outdoors. They both live seperatly in different hutches etc (because they dont get along). I will have to check my other bunnie as well! :shock:

I didnt realise it was mites, and I bought her in the house to check her over, and was reading this post. My dog got rather near to Dottie so God hopes she doesnt get them either! :?

The hair isnt coming out in my hands. I was brushing her fur before I noticed the bald patches as you can only see them if you brush the fur the wrong way. The patches are extremely flaky, like dandruff.

So is there different types of stuff you can buy? Or does it have to be something you feed them with?

Im just about to read the links you gave me in full detail! Thankz all for your help.

It sure does sound like fur mites. I have other animals also and I haven't had to do much.

What I got was a syringe tube of worming paste for horses. Now, this is not vet approved (my vet said it was fine but .....) and there have been overdoses. I go by what my bunny gurus have told me!

Be very careful to only get Ivermectin and nothing else as far a medicine in the tube (you'll have color and like glycerine or something listed) and only a dab. Bo is 4.5 lbs so I gave him a pea or pencil eraser size and Clover less.

There areothers here that are better at it than I am (bunny gurus)- I get so nervous giving them anything!!!

Thankz everyone.

I have just come back from our pet shop and bought some cage 'n' hutch insect spray so I can give that a good clean soon. I also got some Mite spray, which has Pyrethins as an ingredient, which i read earlier was a good thing.

I am going to wait for my sister to get home and ask her about the Ivermectin as she is the horse nut in our house! Im not sure if it is the one she gets for her horse, or she can at least tell me where I can get it from etc.

The only thing I can think of is about 2 weeks ago I noticed some bugs in the rabbits food container, and in their food bowls. So I chucked the food away, and cleaned the bowls and container out.I cant see any of the bugs on Dottie, so I am not sure if this relates to the mites at all. But it was strange.

I am checking my other rabbit now... As I rushed out this morning to get some mite treatment. lol

Lets pray Pepper hasnt got any!

AfterI have scrubbed down the hutch I am going to have to keep Dottie housed indoors for a while until they are thoroughly gone. I am going to have to be extra careful when taking her back outside as the weather and all that. We will have to see how cold it is outside when the time comes! Poor bunnie.

OK so Pepper hasnt got any. I have just finished scrubbing out dotties hutch, and the temporary carry case I am using to house Dottie for a few days.

How long does it actually take for the mites to die without an animal to live on?

It says on the bottle of spray for the hutch that it lasts up to a month to stop re-infestation.

Im getting ready to show my mum how clean rabbits are as house pets :Dlol.

Agh actually! My dog lives inside as well, and they will be in the same room/s etc. That would mean my dog will get the Mites as well? Even if the bunnie is being treated for it? Shall I treat my dog as well just in case she might get them? Or shall I think of another place to keep the bunnie until the mites go?

Cheyletiella, one of the most common types of rabbit fur mites,is not know to live more than 10 days off the host.Some species can live only a few days off the host, while others can live for months without a host.

Pam

Cheers,

I put the mite spray on her yesterday, and today the skin looks much better, no flakes etc. I wasnt sure if it was suppose to work so quickly! At the moment it doesnt look like we are in need ofa vet visit as I think its healing up nicely already :shock:!

If they have had interaction with a guinie pig it is prob guinie pig lice..my guys all have it! there last treatment is on fri (tommorow) with an ingection of invermection.For any bug invermecton is the way to go it kills any bug that they may have..not just one or two! and if you do reserch you can treat them yourself! you can buy the paste at feed stores! it is what i uses to de-worm horses!:(

Agh actually she has been near my guinea pigs. I didnt realise they had lice as well! :?

I sprayed Dottie (the rabbit) with some mite spray, and her bald patches arent flaky anymore, so im not sure if that means the spray is working. I hope so :D

The spray I got is mite spray for small animals, rabbits, guinea pigs etc. Will it still kill the gpigs lice then? Can you see lice?

Also carpet spray - do I get it from a pet shop? Is there anything recomended? I was going to go to the pet shop later on today and get some.

Do you all reccomend a vet visit, or do you think the spray will be ok? Does it sound like it is working, or doesnt it work that quickly?

lovethetailyall wrote:
If they have had interaction with a guinie pig it is prob guinie pig lice..my guys all have it! there last treatment is on fri (tommorow) with an ingection of invermection.For any bug invermectonis the way to go it kills any bug that they may have..not just one or two! and if you do reserch you can treat them yourself! you can buy the paste at feed stores! it is what i uses to de-worm horses!:(
Do the pigs lose their hair from those lice? My bunnies were around thepig also. Bo is still flaking in a spot or two - not much but his bottom is very - naked. :(

He gets little spots of hair forming and then I brush/combe him and feel pieces that are dry and they come out with the combe sometimes.

Latest posts

Back