Baking questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just recently got into baking...something I haven't ever attempted,aside from making some Rice Krispie Treats when I was a teen (andnothing else has ever been attempted until now).

I've just never had a real sweet tooth, and thus never really found anyreason, since I wouldn't normally be interested in eating my owncreation!

But...a year and a half ago, I married a man that LOVES his sweets, andhave recently actually gotten the courage to give it a shot!So, I made a chocolate cake from the box (using a secret addition mysister, the amazing awesome baker, told me about years ago...and it waswonderful!!), and have also attempted muffins and made a batch of RiceKrispie Treats. This was all in the past month.

So, a couple of questions:

I've bought another batch of mix for blueberry muffins, but now I wantto jazz them up by doing that sugary crust you see some muffinshaving. How do I do that for a simple Betty Crocker blueberrymuffin mix? Now, I don't mean a dutch apple pie type ofcrust...I mean simply a sugar crust.

Also, I want to try jazzing up my Rice Krispie Treats, but am not sure how...any ideas??

And yet another thing...I want to be able to make my bunnies littlebunny cookies, or some such, but don't have any recipes forit. Anyone know of one?

And my last question: I bought Betty Crocker sugar cookiemix, but I'm quite picky about the softness of my sugarcookies. How can I be sure they aren't going to be likebricks? Is there a standard color or amount of time, or somekind of indicator that they'll still be soft once they're cooled?

Thanks so much, guys! (And I'm sure my husband thanks you, too!)

Rosie*

maherwoman wrote:
I've bought another batch of mix for blueberry muffins, butnow I want to jazz them up by doing that sugary crust you see somemuffins having. How do I do that for a simple Betty Crockerblueberry muffin mix? Now, I don't mean a dutch apple pietype of crust...I mean simply a sugar crust. I'm not sure on thisone but i think maybe if you sprinkle a good amount of normal sugararound 10 minutes before the cookies are due to be done they maycrystalise a bit?

Also, I want to try jazzing up my Rice Krispie Treats, but am not surehow...any ideas?? Raisins, chunks of chocolate that will meltleaving little half melted choc lumps when you munch? Or what aboutwhite chocolate drops as a contrast? Mini-marshmellows also go greatwith rice krispie cakes.

And yet another thing...I want to be able to make my bunnies littlebunny cookies, or some such, but don't have any recipes forit. Anyone know of one? Grind up some pellet mix (iused two handfuls to make 8 decent sized biscuits). Grind up using acoffee grinder or mash them to death in a plastic container with theend of a rolling pin. Pureé a banana in the blender or a small carrotetc to make enough liquid. Mix it all up into a batter that can bemoulded into little lumps and bake until hard enough to be picked upbut soft enough to squidge al little (mine took around 30 mins but someweren't done). Mine were a hit! Need to be eaten quickly as they don'tkeep very well, and they stink like mouldy banana and rabbit poo :)

And my last question: I bought Betty Crocker sugar cookiemix, but I'm quite picky about the softness of my sugarcookies. How can I be sure they aren't going to be likebricks? Is there a standard color or amount of time, or somekind of indicator that they'll still be soft once they're cooled?I'm not an expert, but what about the munch test? :DWhenyou've only got a little mixture left just dump it in a little lump,and then you can give it a little nibble at various intervals until youthink it tastes good. Bear in mind that if its smaller than yourcookies it will cook quicker. Also remember that lower temperatures forlonger times bake things through thoroughly to the same consistencywhereas a high temp will make the outside crispy and hard on th outsidebut gooey in the middle (how i like them!)

Thanks so much, guys! (And I'm sure my husband thanks you, too!)

Rosie*

Thank you!

About the muffins: See...that's actually what I was thinking,but didn't want to try it and waste the mix we bought. Iknow, buying the mix is short-cutting things a little...but I've got tohave a gradient here, ya know?

About the Rice Krispie Treats: great ideas! I thought ofputting some sort of fruit flavor in there, but am not sure how to doit. My husband hates the idea, though, so I probably won'ttry it, hehe! Great idea with the chocolate chips!I'll try that! :)

About the bunny cookies: thank you! I'll try that! :)

And about the sugar cookies: good idea...and thank you for letting meknow about the temperature! I'm sure after a few batches I'llfigure things out, but it's always worth asking others! :)

Thank you!

Rosie*

maherwoman wrote:
Also, I want to try jazzing up my Rice Krispie Treats, but am not surehow...any ideas??
A couple ideas foryou...
(1) I separate a couple smallbatches and addfood coloring so I have red and green, then Imix them back in and have multi colored squares.
(2) Add more mini marshmellows andchocolate chips after you start mixing the rice crispies with themelted marshmellow and it's begun to cool (so you don't melt yourchocolate chips).
(3) Meltchocolate chip on the stove (on LOW so it won't burn) and pour themelted chocolate over the squares after they aredone.
(4) Buy the colored cakeicing in the tube (they come with a little icing tip that you cut open)and decorate them
And yet another thing...I want to be able to make my bunnies littlebunny cookies, or some such, but don't have any recipes forit. Anyone know ofone?
And my last question: I bought Betty Crocker sugar cookiemix, but I'm quite picky about the softness of my sugarcookies. How can I be sure they aren't going to be likebricks? Is there a standard color or amount of time, or somekind of indicator that they'll still be soft once they'recooled?
Look for the edges near the bottomof the cookie to JUST get a light brown color. Usually Icheck mine at about 8 mins for 1/8 inch thick cookies (at 375 degrees)and that's about right - but it will depend on the oven, the temp and Ihave never made the betty crocker cookies, so the recipe will make adifference too. Also - if you make them a little thicker,they will be softer...
I wouldsuggest experimenting with a small batch at a time to get the timingright.

And, as a side note, this site is really interesting - I use it all the time!!

http://www.baking911.com/

Thank you so much, HoneyPot! GREAT ideas...I'll give them a shot! :D

Also, I'll check out that website...I'm sure it'll have lots of ideas for me, too! :)

I would suggestexperimenting with a small batch at a time to get the timing right.

That is true, its all about experimentation! I love experimenting withbaking. Infact those rabbit scones i posted in the photo philes earlierwere intended as savoury biscuits but instead came out as breadyscones. They were lovely too!

I remember once i wanted to make fairy cakes, but they looked reallyboring with nothing in them, so i searched through the cupboard andfound an old packet of hazelnut pieces. I added them in and they werethe most fantastic thing i had ever tasted. I make them all thetime now and i'm even taking them with me at Christmas for the wholefamily :)

Also, Betty Crocker Carrot Cake with the BettyCrocker (i think) Creamy Delight (or something?) icing tub isfantastic. And very easy. I made it for Halloween:

nanny114.jpg

I also made this HUGE chocolate cake once with a friend because we were bored!

choccake.jpg

And also once me and my cousins made a chocolate cake with cupcakes ontop because the mix was going out of date :)

wab2003.jpg

Another question: I made some Bisquick biscuitsthe other day, and the dough was SO DIFFICULT to knead (as it was sodang sticky)...is there anything I can do to help something likethat? I dusted the surface with some more of the Bisquickmix, like it said to do, but it was still insanely sticky!

I'm discovering there are lots of things I'll need to purchase forbaking, like a mixer (just a hand mixer) and a rolling pin (for thebiscuits, I basically just smoothed the dough out evenly between twoBisquick-dusted sheets of plastic wrap, and then uncovered and cut outthe biscuits). My husband surprised me with a cookie sheetand some cooling racks last night. Funny how readily he'ssupporting my new baking fun! Hehe! :D Iguess he figures the more things he gets to help me do it right, themore I'll bake, hehe! :)

Don't get me wrong, my husband is wonderfully supportive...but boy, hashe jumped into getting me baking things! Hehe!:rofl:

Mmmmm...those look so yummy!

I think I'll start experimenting with different cake mixes andicings...never know what I might find that's amazing! :)

Just use the basic mix. I think its 60oz selfraisin, 6oz sugar and 6oz butter with 3 eggs. You can use it for allsweet cakes, double it or half it, cupcakes etc. I then add differentingredients, flavourings etc. Lemon juice with lemony icing is good.Just make it up as you go along!

Ohhh that chocolate cake looks so yummy!!

All this sweet talk has me craving candy buckeyes! :ponder:

Oh, I just remembered! We took apicture of my first ever chocolate cake, hehe! It's on theroll of film we need to develop. hehe...it was worthcapturing. :)

Oh that sounds tasty!

I need to get the stuff to make my gingerbread for the tree and mygingerbread for the family! Maybe you should ask fro a recipe book forChristmas! Brownies are fun to make too :)

Oh, what a great idea! My Christmaspresent is already on its way here, but I can ask for it just for aregular day, hehe! :)

My favorite general recipe book is one by Betty Crocker that's for a newlywed couple. :)

Latest posts

Back