Bad Sore Hocks...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley411

Reaction score
I have a standard rex rabbit named Honey. We have been battling sore hocks since I got her about 6 months ago. I've tried various bedding choices, fleece, and just bare floor. Nothing is working. I just bought a custom two story cage for her and now her feet are worse then ever. The cage has lino flooring. She now is standing on her tip toes so as not to touch her hocks on the ground. Honey will also high center herself on the edge of the litterbox in order to support her back end and not put weight on her feet. It's really sad to see. I feel so sorry for her. But I don't know what to do to help her.

This is her cage:

Photo4211.jpg

Honey is my first rex and my first experience with sore hocks. I was told by a friend who breeds rexes that she has found that wire flooring has worked the best for her. But that will be a very last resort. I also heard to use two-three inches of shavings and I haven't yet tried that. Actually hope I don't have to as that would be soo messy. The framing around the top level is only about an inch so all those shavings would go everywhere. If that's what I have to do I definitely will though.

Anyways sorry for the long post. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think a wire flooring would make it worse. If you have a bare solid floor, I couldn't imagine why her hocks are sore. I hope someone can help you. Poor Honey....

Has she seen a vet for her hocks?

PS) very nice cage! :)

This may sound weird but Peaches was on those stick on flooring and he had a tiny bald spot on his hind feet - the vet said to put towels down - I couldn't cuz he's a chewer so I put those foam puzzle pieces and the bald spot has dissappeared - maybe they just need a soft spot to walk on

I've used the plastic mats with slats in them and had a lot of success. You may need to wrap the feet in vet wrap to get them to heal. (Great care must be taken not to wrap to tightly or the foot will swell up like a balloon!) Cut some gauze smaller than the size of the wound, soak in saline eye rinse, place in wound and wrap with vet wrap. Some of the keys to healing deep wounds are to keep the wound moist, but keep the edges of the wound dry to prevent further break-down. Pressure is the biggest enemy, but it's nearly impossible to eliminate pressure on the rabbit's foot because they continually walk on them. The plastic mats with slats help to continually move the distribution points of pressure. A nest box packed with straw will give your rabbit a comfortable resting place.

Latest posts

Back