Bad odor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys, I wanted to ask you about something, haru’s cage smells bad and it was never like that, it started this week, it’s strong enough to smell it even when you’re just passing by it. And I don’t know what it’s from. Her litter box never had bad odor, I thought that it was from the litter box but i sniffed it and it wasn’t it, also i clean the litter box two/three times a day. I sniffed haru and she didn’t smell bad. The cage is clean I don’t know why it smells bad, if you could help me fix this please do, I remember I read somewhere that if there was bad odor from the litter box, it could disturb the rabbit or something, I’m worried that this would.

That’s from her hormones, untill you find a good vet I would use 10% white vinegar to try to control odor.

That’s from her hormones, untill you find a good vet I would use 10% white vinegar to try to control odor.
What does that mean¿ is she releasing it from her body¿ also, I have never cleaned her scent glands, I’m thinking it could be from it, is it bad of I don’t clean it¿ it’s very hard to just brush her, and I’m taking her to a vet every time she needs to get her nails cut.

She herself would smell like nothing.
But her pee, will(already does) smell very ammonia-y.

Its a separate deal from her scent glands (if scent glands are dirty it would make her smell) So its should’nt be her scent glands.

2-3 times a day is a lot.
Could you take a picture of her litter box?

Last edited:
She herself would smell like nothing.
But her pee, will(already does) smell very ammonia-y.

Its a separate deal from her scent glands (if scent glands are dirty it would make her smell) So its should’nt be her scent glands.

2-3 times a day is a lot.
Could you take a picture of her litter box?
It’s because I use only pee pads, and as I said before, the litter box doesn’t smell bad, it’s just the cage.

Have you checked the cage thoroughly? It could be possible a spot of urine has dried up and is now leaving an odour. Or, in some cases, a bit of uneaten cecotrope could be the issue. In that case, check not only the floor area but also walls, corners, any area where something soft could be smashed through. Uneaten cecal matter smells really bad! :)

Why you need to clean her toilet 2-3 times a day?? I only clean toilets twice a week and there's no smell they all live indoors and using their toilets well.
I use wood pellets inside their toilet boxes, no pee pads. Maybe try wood pellets as well or you just like cleaning?

If it's not urine smell maybe she becomes hormonal and so starts marking her territory?
From your other posts I get she is now 6 months old, so it is normal if her behavior changes. By the way, are you sure she is a girl? In my experience boys when become sexually mature about that age start smelling very badly, very specific smell they are trying to attract females attention with it and also start acting differently, becoming very active and basically all as you describe. Girls also show hormonal behavior but they are less smelly, that is in my experience. Boys produce very smelly poos and they want to leave them everywhere, not cecals but just their poos smell really strongly. I would check her gender again, it is quite common that when young babies are missexed, I had at least two rabbits were sexed wrongly.

Why you need to clean her toilet 2-3 times a day?? I only clean toilets twice a week and there's no smell they all live indoors and using their toilets well.
I use wood pellets inside their toilet boxes, no pee pads. Maybe try wood pellets as well or you just like cleaning?

If it's not urine smell maybe she becomes hormonal and so starts marking her territory?
From your other posts I get she is now 6 months old, so it is normal if her behavior changes. By the way, are you sure she is a girl? In my experience boys when become sexually mature about that age start smelling very badly, very specific smell they are trying to attract females attention with it and also start acting differently, becoming very active and basically all as you describe. Girls also show hormonal behavior but they are less smelly, that is in my experience. Boys produce very smelly poos and they want to leave them everywhere, not cecals but just their poos smell really strongly. I would check her gender again, it is quite common that when young babies are missexed, I had at least two rabbits were sexed wrongly.
I couldn’t find any wood pellets nor paper ones anywhere in my area, and online.. the shipping is twice the price of the product itself. About the behavior thing, will it tone down a bit? I took her to two different vets and both of them said that she’s a girl.

I couldn’t find any wood pellets nor paper ones anywhere in my area, and online.. the shipping is twice the price of the product itself. About the behavior thing, will it tone down a bit? I took her to two different vets and both of them said that she’s a girl.
I don't know your exact location but maybe you can google stove pellets, they are the same product and much cheaper than pet stores sell, maybe you can find them locally

She will calm down with age, maybe after 1-2 years, or if you will neuter her, one month after neutering it should improve. It depends on your individual rabbit as well.

Latest posts

Back