bad gas or GI stasis?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_

Reaction score
bubbles has slowly stopped eating and will only nibble some hay. he even refuses his favorite treat, banana. my mom said that she could feel his tummy gurgling and thinks that he hasn't gone into stasis. we are getting pineapple and infant gas drops as of now and we will get critical care if that doesn't work.

It does sound like gas. Do not give Bubbles pineapple juice! It is more likely to harm him than help him. I would stick to gas drops (1-2 ml every hour for 3 hours and then 1-2 ml every 3-8 hours or as needed) and tummy massages. For tummy massages, I like to press a heater to the rabbit's tummy so that they stay warm. Offer him lots of fresh wet veggies (such as romaine and cilantro) so that he gets some water; you can also syringe him some water. Don't give him lots of fruit because the sugar won't help him. If he doesn't get better after the second dose of gas drops, please take him to a vet. The vet normally gives you critical care.

ok so no pineapple until we know if it's gas or GI stasis?

he is refusing his veggies as of now

the vet is expensive so my mom is trying to call them and ask about critical care after telling them his symptoms.

No pineapple what so ever. It won't help. If this is full-on stasis and your rabbit has a blockage it will need surgery to remove the blockage. Since your rabbit is still eating a little banana, it is probably just gas pain. Do you know why your rabbit got gas pain? Any change in diet, housing, etc? Stress? Pain? How is your rabbit sitting? Is it in a hunched position or pressing its tummy to the floor? Any strange poops?

You do not need a vet visit unless he goes 6-8 hours without eating or drinking. Do not force feed unless Bubbles has had an x-ray to prove there is no blockage and until you are instructed by a vet to do so.

We are heading to the vet right now.
We just moved to a new house, but I recreated their enclosure exactly and there are no signs of major stress

How is bubbles? I hope the vets managed to help him.

bubbles has slowly stopped eating and will only nibble some hay. he even refuses his favorite treat, banana. my mom said that she could feel his tummy gurgling and thinks that he hasn't gone into stasis. we are getting pineapple and infant gas drops as of now and we will get critical care if that doesn't work.
I would give him gas drops or freshly brewed fennel or dill tea (filtered without seeds and not sweetened) and would do belly massages every hour for 10 mins each time. Place him on your lap with face into your belly and holding with both hands on his belly massage it with your fingers from both sides making like circles and so you can touch feel your own fingers through his belly and what is between them, you will feel pearl string like his poos and you massage any blockages you find in there gently squeezing them between your fingers, but not like squeezing but going circles all the time, in combination with gas drops this will make his masses moving a bit and his belly should be much softer after that. you might be able to hear gas moving inside.
After every massage make him exercise make him run, this will also help with gut movements.
Don't panic, it is manageable in most cases, but you need to put attention to it really. If you are not sure and all it is best to visit your vet. But they would probably give him medicine which is completely avoidable if you massage + gas drops + exercise, and if not eating at all try feeding manually but after exercise and massage they often would start eating by themselves.

The vet said that it is GI stasis, but they don’t know how bad it is yet

At least you noticed it fast and got him to the vets. I hope he manage to pull it through and be back home all normal again.

They should provide sub-cutaneous hydration, pain meds, and a gut motility medication. That should help him pull through. Do you know what they are/have been doing for him?

They should provide sub-cutaneous hydration, pain meds, and a gut motility medication. That should help him pull through. Do you know what they are/have been doing for him?

X ray to check for blockage, infant gas drops, light pain medication, critical care, hydration, etc

Latest posts

Back