BAD FEED going around OCT. 2008

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
Just received today:

2 rabbitries in MA and 1 in CT have reported rabbit deaths linked to bad feed.
Ventura, Manna Pro & Blue Seal feeds are being blamed.

I feed my herd Blue Seal show hutch delux and opened a fresh bag this week and all is fine thus far.

I called Blue Seal and they have sent a rep out to each rabbitry to collect samples of the feed in question.
The breeders had since thrown out the empty bags so they did not have info as to mill date or facility.

Ray from Blue Seal assured me that following the tests of the feed...he would be calling my cell phone as the blogs have been hit hard today by this and many breeders are calling and raising concerns and Blue Seal wants to remain cooperative and available.

Symptoms are bloated tummies, liquid poop and instant death within 24 hrs of feeding bad feed.

So sad.

One breeders claims to have lost 35 in 3 weeks and the other lost 11 and the other 5 and treating 5 today.

Has anyone had necropsies done?

Viral illnesses in rabbits are just as common at this time of year as in humans, yet people always jump to blame the feed.

I'm not saying that it isn't a possiblity, but what is this assumption being based on?

What is "bad" in the "bad" feed????

Details please!

Pam

I have just slightly under 100# of Mana Pro select series rabbit food right now.

Pam, good points!

Other than the posts by Carolyn, I haven't heard or been able to find any information concerning this.

I'm currently using Kaytee & Oxbow.

Some of my rabbits are feeling a little under the weather but I attribute it to new crops being used to make the feed and seasonal changes. They don't want their pellets but will eat hay and oats. They get over it in a couple of days and eat normally.

Roger

Latest posts

Back