bad batch of hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucylocket

Reaction score
hi all

i have just opened a bag of hat and it seems to be bad

the only hay ive got in is alfaalfa till tomorrow

would this be ok and how much should i give her

varna xxxx

DaisyNBuster wrote:
How do you know if hay has actually gone moldy. Does it growsome sort of mold on it? How long does hay actually last? I have neverheard of hay going bad before. Hope the stuff I am giving mine is ok.

Vickie

It will smell bad (very musty) and have dark mold in it. The bad areas also stick together.

Moldyhay is caused by insufficient drying -- most processorsnow usedrying agents (desiccants)containingpotassium or sodium carbonateand/or preservatives (proprionicacid and acetic acid) or anhydrous ammonia,to prevent mold inthe hay by hastening curing/drying. Microbial inoculantshavealso been used to preserve hay.

Hay can also mold if kept in moist conditions, especially on a cement floor where the hay will absorb moisture.

Clover hay (heifer hay) is the most likely to mold and should not be fed to rabbits.

Pam

Thanks Pam. I never thought it would go moldy with it being dry. Mind you I suppose everything has a shelf life and will go off.

Its amazing how you learn something new every day on here.

Varna your questions are great I always pick up some great info :D.

Vickie

If properly cured, it won't mold inside the bale,but humidity/moisture can cause mold on the outside of the bale,especially if it's sitting anywhere moist.

Pam

Latest posts

Back