Back to this chewing thing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mybunnies

Reaction score
Anyone else with ideas, I'm going to try the bitter apple on some of the wood and exention cords.What about clothing and curtains and such?????????? We are building a new house and my husband is concerned that the bunnies will eat our new home (a new twist on eating us out of house and home) My bunnies are my babies, ( I have 4 children as well -- the youngest is one year old) so I don't have a lot of time to chase them around (the bunnies that is) and watch what they nibble.:( The outdoor pen is a great idea, I have considered it before, but in Canada our winters are pretty extreme, they'd be house bunnies then.

-- Kim

Unfortunately, is is something that rabbits do. I could give you a list of things I've tried, unsuccessfully I might add. The only thing that seems to have worked, in our case, is maturity. The older the rabbit becomes, the less of a chewer she is.

She seemed to be a bit put off by covering the edges of our dining room pedastals with duct tape, but the majority of the damage had already been done. All the other bitter substances, lemon, lime, hotsauces, etc. had not worked.

Buck

In either Petco or Petsmart ( I forget which) they sell wire playpens that fold up and make like a hexagon shape when opened, they have a small one and a bigger size and they are made for smaller pets.

I had bought one for my bunny since I had to move her cage downstairs (I use to let her run in the hallway and bathroom), it works great! I just put her in there with a bunch of her toys that way she can race around without chewing anything other than what she's supposed to and I can clean out her cage or do whatever and still be able to keep an eye on her.There'salso enough room in there for me to get in with her and play.

Since you have more then one bunny, you'd probably need to buy 2 of them and just attach them together, which would be pretty easy to do with a good pair of pliers. It's like a piece of wiring that is attached to another with those metal ring things.. so it would be easy to take the rings off to make it open instead of enclosed for both and then just attach the open ends. Thenyou've got a pretty decent sized play area for the buns! Or even as just a temporary thing until they calm down with the chewing!

The only thing, and I'm not sure if it would bea problem with your bunnies, but the playpen doesn't have any kind of doors to it, so if your rabbits dont like to be picked up it might not work so well unless you don't mind lifting their cage into the playpen and then taking it out again. Ikeep my bunny inside all the time and shehates being picked up so my momand I just lift hercage into the playpen, take off the top and let her jump out on her own; then put the bottom of the cage back in when playtimes over andlet her jump back in, put the top back on and lift it back out.

~pam

Go to the House Rabbit Society website about bunnyproofing. We fed our wires through a tube that they can not get tothem. Sprays do not work we even had a bun who ate the tabisco andwires. Maturity plays a big part. I would also limit their available tocertain rooms or use the little expens as mentioned before

mybunnies wrote:
Anyone else with ideas, I'm going to try thebitter apple on some of the wood and exention cords. but whatabout clothing and curtains and such ?????????? Weare building a new house and my husband is concerned that the with eatour new home (a new twist on eating us out of house and home)My bunnies are my babies, ( I have 4 children as well-- the youngest is one year old) so I don't have a lot oftime to chase them around (the bunnies that is) a watch what thenibble.:( The outdoor pen is a great idea, I have consideredit before, but in Canada our winters are prettyextreme, They'd be house bunnies then. --Kim
I too am in Canada mybunnies, and they live outside all year round. Thewinters aren't so bad if they are together and have an insulted woodbox where they can hide, mine love the winter and have yet to get hurtby the weather, we fasten "storm windows" to the front wire to preventcool breezes from coming inside and to keep snow out, the hutch stillhave circulation because of the bottom wire they have, a rabbit that isclimatized slowly to our weather (even the -40's) can live outsidequite well!

even though mine are hosue buns like it it cold.We sleep under 3 quilts but the buns love it. We do have some that willlay in front of the fireplace but they do not like heat at all.

Latest posts

Back