Back arching

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mahree01

Reaction score
I have noticed my four month old netherland dwarf arching his back now and then the past few days. I have not noticed any other unusual behaviors but google told me that it could be gas. I gave him some belly massages in hope it helps, I’m just a little worried.

i was wondering if there are any suggestions and if American Health acidophilus is okay to give him to help with the possible gas.

You should give him some Infant Mylicon if you have some in your hands (or buy some from your local pharmacy if it isn't too late). I'm not sure if you can give your rabbit American Health acidophilus, but some Infant Mylicon would definitely help. Hope this helps you and your bunny!

Here's a video I found that could possibly help :

You should give him some Infant Mylicon if you have some in your hands (or buy some from your local pharmacy if it isn't too late). I'm not sure if you can give your rabbit American Health acidophilus, but some Infant Mylicon would definitely help. Hope this helps you and your bunny!

Here's a video I found that could possibly help :

Thanks! I had also heard about doing that but dont have any on hand currently. I had actually already watched that video and tried some of the stuff she did.

Could you describe more about the back arching. Is it like he's stretching his back and or belly, or is he arching his head back as well? Is he showing any other symptoms like loud gurgling stomach, reduced appetite, reduced activity/lethargy, belly pressing, sitting hunched up not wanting to move, tooth grinding, loss of balance, unsteady when hopping, head shaking or nodding, etc?

Could you describe more about the back arching. Is it like he's stretching his back and or belly, or is he arching his head back as well? Is he showing any other symptoms like loud gurgling stomach, reduced appetite, reduced activity/lethargy, belly pressing, sitting hunched up not wanting to move, tooth grinding, loss of balance, unsteady when hopping, head shaking or nodding, etc?
His back arching is more like he puts his hind corners up higher than the rest of his body. He shows no other symptoms, he usually sleeps a lot but then when he is not sleeping he’s running everywhere. He often lays on his side sometimes when he rests, I don’t know if that counts as belly pressing or not. Not sure about the head shaking or nodding because he usually does that sort of head shaking when he is binkying but I believe that is normal.

Are you sure he's not just stretching? They will sometimes do a full body stretch like that, and may yawn with it.

If your pretty sure it's not just stretching but he seems to be arching to press his belly down in discomfort, it could be from a stomach upset. Though usually with this they will also stop eating and may also be lethargic and not want to move around. If he's not exhibiting any other abnormal behavior with the back arching, I would be inclined to think it's just him stretching.

Are you sure he's not just stretching? They will sometimes do a full body stretch like that, and may yawn with it.

If your pretty sure it's not just stretching but he seems to be arching to press his belly down in discomfort, it could be from a stomach upset. Though usually with this they will also stop eating and may also be lethargic and not want to move around. If he's not exhibiting any other abnormal behavior with the back arching, I would be inclined to think it's just him stretching.
I’m not sure its really hard to tell. I see him stretch differently fairly often though and the other stretches come with the yawn. What I’m talk about is that he puts his hind quarters in the air while his front half is still propped, as opposed to when he normally stretches and lowers his front half with the yawn. It’s fairly hard to explain. He is eating and pooping just fine, nothing had changed in that. It could just be that I’m paranoid. I think I have seen him hunch because I remember walking in to him being in a weird position I had not seen before but its really hard to tell, for the most part he has just been loafing.

I've seen something like that with one of my rabbits, but it's when he's been on an antibiotic that causes some stomach cramping. There could be some belly discomfort going on there with your bun, but without any other definitive signs, it's hard to know for sure. Possibly just a minor digestive upset from something in his diet, or it could be something else going on.

Alright, thank you! I never had changed his diet and he only started this issue a few days ago. Fairly hard to tell but I will for sure keep a good eye on him.

A video would help.
I got a few pictures of how he has been laying down. Not sure if the one counts as being hunch over but the other one is him laying on his side. I watched him and he just kinda flopped onto his side and laid down for a bit

Attachments

• F10FF126-5322-4428-9178-D11E8715F166.jpeg
    F10FF126-5322-4428-9178-D11E8715F166.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 1F9D9736-FFC8-4C58-A1E5-AC1E94EB6E4D.jpeg
    1F9D9736-FFC8-4C58-A1E5-AC1E94EB6E4D.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 4
I got a few pictures of how he has been laying down. Not sure if the one counts as being hunch over but the other one is him laying on his side. I watched him and he just kinda flopped onto his side and laid down for a bit
He looks OK in those pics. It's when they keep getting up and flopping or when they are pressing their bellies down or when they have a urinating stance but are not urinating you need to worry. This can help identify whether they are in pain: Rabbit grimace scale | NC3Rs

Those are all really good tips!!! My bunnies stretch ALOT in many different stances😂 I would recommend just keeping an eye and if there are any othe signs take him in:) one litte side note: HE IS SO SO SO ADORABLE 🥰

Those are all really good tips!!! My bunnies stretch ALOT in many different stances😂 I would recommend just keeping an eye and if there are any othe signs take him in:) one litte side note: HE IS SO SO SO ADORABLE 🥰
Haha, i’m starting to just think it’s stretching but its a little hard to tell.

and thank you! Sometimes when he sits still he looks like a toy because of his big dark eyes, it’s absolutely adorable. His personality is pretty entertaining as well.

Haha, i’m starting to just think it’s stretching but its a little hard to tell.

and thank you! Sometimes when he sits still he looks like a toy because of his big dark eyes, it’s absolutely adorable. His personality is pretty entertaining as well.
His eyes are so cute and adorable and his ears just make me smile soooo big and his marking on his nose just adds to the unbearable cuteness😂❤️

I agree,, sounds like stretches,, our little guy stretches all the time.. here is a video for comparison:

Latest posts

Back