Baby Tans

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay! Whiskey is nesting too!

SANY0282.jpg

SANY0286.jpg

Gorgeous rabbits! I love that you're keeping the thread updated, I can't get enough of your tans and the babies are to die for. They're one of the breeds that I really hope to own in the future. I do have a question though, I've read Blue Ribbon Rabbitry's section on how tans are never "mismarked" but that their markings vary in quality. Could you post some pictures of tans with very good markings vs. more pet-quality markings? I'm just curious what the difference/important parts of the markings are.

MLS wrote:
Gorgeous rabbits! I love that you're keeping the thread updated, I can't get enough of your tans and the babies are to die for. They're one of the breeds that I really hope to own in the future. I do have a question though, I've read Blue Ribbon Rabbitry's section on how tans are never "mismarked" but that their markings vary in quality. Could you post some pictures of tans with very good markings vs. more pet-quality markings? I'm just curious what the difference/important parts of the markings are.
Sometimes the line of demarcation can be very low and doesn't show off enough up the sides with nice brindling. Also, they are supposed to have complete eye cricles and they can be missing or incomplete. Then there is the actual Tan factor which can be quite uneven underneath or, more commonly, fades when it gets to the tail and groin area.

I have a picture of a buck that I just LOVE but he's got a really low line of demarcation. It does get lower as they get older I've been told. Let me see if I can find a good picture of him! Tans are so wonderful :)

I just love watching the does build their nests. It's neat to watch how they pick up the hay so that's it all straight and in a neat bundle...and how much they can fit into their mouths.

I can't wait to see the babies!

MLS wrote:

Thank you :) and Pretty much what Elizabeth said. I haven't focused too much on markings but more on Tan Factor and Type. Judges love a rabbit that loves to show. It allows for an easier judging and a great site to see. I have a picture of a low demark but the rabbit is also molting in the pic I have so its hard to differentiate between demark and dead fur. This is true about the demarcation line though. It is almost desirable to have a junior with a high demark and wide chest because as they grow their skin fits their body better and it all evens out in the end. I believe the SOP for the Tan says to not fault a junior for having a wide chest if Im not mistaken.

Me either wendy! No babies yet hopefully tonight! Beyonce is always a 31 dayer

woahlookitsme wrote:
Thank you :) and Pretty much what Elizabeth said. I haven't focused too much on markings but more on Tan Factor and Type. Judges love a rabbit that loves to show. It allows for an easier judging and a great site to see. I have a picture of a low demark but the rabbit is also molting in the pic I have so its hard to differentiate between demark and dead fur. This is true about the demarcation line though. It is almost desirable to have a junior with a high demark and wide chest because as they grow their skin fits their body better and it all evens out in the end. I believe the SOP for the Tan says to not fault a junior for having a wide chest if Im not mistaken.

Me either wendy! No babies yet hopefully tonight! Beyonce is always a 31 dayer
Sometimes you can almost set your watch to a doe!

Even the most gorgeous Tan in the world will do poorly on the table and at shows if they don't know how to properly strut their stuff! I have seen some really great tans army-crawl down the table and did not place nearly as high as they would have if they had run down the table like they should.

Here are the newest babies! They're 4 days old...

14192_272319_570000000.jpg

Above are Whiskey's two blues.

14192_272319_570000001.jpg

Above is Beyonce's one little black. I thought it was a blue at first...I must be getting color blind, lol!

Okay so heres an update

Beyonces little baby passed away. I believe he had hydrocephalus but think he died because of the heat also. The day before he was drooling and just laying pretty lethargic. Im not sure if mom had fed him but the next day he was stiff. He almost made it to 3wks RIP little one Here are some pics if anyone else comes across this and cant find answers

SANY0302-1.jpg

SANY0308-1.jpg

On a happier note Whiskeys babies are alive and well. here are some pics from today. They are now 3 weeks old.

SANY0409-1.jpg

SANY0408-1.jpg

SANY0407.jpg

SANY0393.jpg

SANY0391.jpg

And my older convention babies finally got names and tattoos today :) They are now 3months old. Their papa is named Sinatra so I went on the mob side of Sinatra's Life and the two girls are named after his two daughters

Owen's Nancy. Black Doe
SANY0387.jpg

Owen's Tina. Chocolate Jr Doe

SANY0384-1.jpg

Owen's Luciano. Black Buck

SANY0380.jpg

Owen's Castello. Black Jr. Buck

costello.jpg

Owen's Willie Moretti

willie.jpg

A funny picture of Owen's Tahoe

DC2funny.jpg

Sorry to hear about the little one. :( The remaining babies are cute, cute, cute!!! I really love Castello. What, pray tell, is Owen doing? He looks like he's imitating a dog going to the bathroom. LOL

LOL Wendy I have no clue what he was doing I was laughing after I caught that picture!

It was sad to see hers go. Now I am contemplating if I should linebreed her son back to her to get a replacement doe out of her before she finishes having babies or rebreed to seawolf. I think Ill do her son first just in case and then seawolf again. Hopefully healthy babies from her. She will be pushing 4yrs.

Lol Elizabeth! I cant wait to get videos of them running the tables for you. I am really thinking Luciano has the typeyness that you are looking for and I think Im falling in love with Costello. I also caught tattoo pictures for you and am putting them up rightt abouttt now :)

I think that I have met you (or at least seen you) before. Crosby is one of the only shows that I go to. (that and HLSR). I did not go this year though. Your babies are really cute!!!!!!!! I think that my mom MIGHT have done the cards for the Tans at Crosby in 2011.

We were there but i dont remember who took comments. If you have been by the Tans judging then you have most likely seen me there :) I hang out with Kathy Hillery who now shows Woolys and used to raise dwarfs. She also shows flemish and cals sometimes.

Thank you they can be little buggers sometimes lol

I normally hang out with Becky and Ginny Vickers. They show Mini Rex, Californians, English Spots and Polish. I have herd of someone named Kathy but I do not know if it was the same person. I am horible with names and faces.

Since my mom shows polish we do know Ginny and have spoken to her before about them. Maybe we will see you at the next Houston show :)

Latest posts

Back