Baby Shower?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More pics from earlier. I cross tied Alero so I could actualyl get to her foal. She won't let me anywhere near her or baby, I get bitten or kicked. She was very displeased and even though I had her head right by the door of her stall so she coudl see baby, she was flipping out. So I gaveErron a rubber massager and had him distract her while I touched the foal and just got him to be not afraid of me. Every time he'd come over to check me out Alero would panic and shoo him away and I think it's really instilled an unnecessary fear in him of me. But I spent just 5 minutes alone with him and he was freakin' out and I endedup just holding him still and when he stopped going beserk I let him go and he'd stand there while I petted him. When I put Momma back baby would come over to say hi and let me touch his face and ears over the top of the stall door. Alero even let me scratch her neck. So ...improvement. And yes I stayed in my pajamas all day and slept about 3 hours.

-JAK

foal2.jpg

foal6.jpg

foal8.jpg

foal.jpg

The mother is a registered Buckskin QH - Buckaroos Satin Doll
And the father is a reg'd Red Roan Paint - Reckless Kinda Guy

I am so not mixing their names to make a foal name. They always sound dumb and in this case....it'd just make him sound liek a flamboyant biker dude.

My foal is so much cooler than that.

Well, on an official level it's good just to have the parent names in it but we never use their registered names except for Dakota..... and that wasn't my choice and I call him Bug or Kota Bug. Don't ask - just happened. LOL!

Your little man is precious! he does have a dark streak in his tail but it doesn't look like a dorsal stripe..... yet. If he ends up red dun or red dun paint (he looks pretty solid tho) I'll steal him! :pThey can change a lot tho. We thought FIL had an albino which sucksand it turned out to be a cremello which is AWESOME!

Oh and I know he's a paint regardless.... cause his dad was a paint.... but I mean really paint marked. He looks like he's going to have a lot of white under him... and I love that stocking! I can't tell - does he have socks? I can just see that one stocking and it's great!

Yeah but then it's not really a ''name'' to me, it's just a jumble of words to try to make the horse more imprissive. I'm going a different route. I do plan on showing him but he doesn't need a hat-picked name to go far. He'll start his own amazing name. And many years later, people will name their foals after HIM instead. And yes, I am full of myself. ha ha ha.

And also I am angry with the dad's owner so I will be discontinuing the ''Reckless'' name tag, which is supposedly famous but I've never heard of it outside of her barn so....who knows.

The ''dark'' sections of him are the strawberry blonde I woudl assume to be red roan. He doesn't have any socks or st ocking or any kind....however the bottom of his leg near the hoof is pretty much white but it blends perfectly up into the blonde of his body with no obvious break in between. And the white that is there is still not WHITE like his face. So I don't think he has any socks. PReferable to me they kind of annoy me, I'm a big fan of symmetry, unless it's a pretty marked paint, he can have all the bizzarre spots and leg markings he wants.

Red dun is pretty much not even a possibility.
But palomino is! And he's getting lighter and lighter...the strawberry is almost gone! And Palomino roan is a top possibility.

-JAK

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Well, on an official level it's good just to have the parent names in it but we never use their registered names except for Dakota..... and that wasn't my choice and I call him Bug or Kota Bug. Don't ask - just happened. LOL!

Your little man is precious! he does have a dark streak in his tail but it doesn't look like a dorsal stripe..... yet. If he ends up red dun or red dun paint (he looks pretty solid tho) I'll steal him! :pThey can change a lot tho. We thought FIL had an albino which sucksand it turned out to be a cremello which is AWESOME!

Oh and I know he's a paint regardless.... cause his dad was a paint.... but I mean really paint marked. He looks like he's going to have a lot of white under him... and I love that stocking! I can't tell - does he have socks? I can just see that one stocking and it's great!

I would think if the mom is a buckskin, there's a big chance of a dun in there.... since duns are a type of buckskin. :huhPalomino would be cool, but his mane would make it red roan wouldn't it? if it doesn't go really blonde? Not seeing him in person doesn't help LOL!

This is the photo that makes me think he has a big white stocking - almost to the hock. I can understand the name thing... Make it really cool tho! :)

Why'd the sire's owner make you mad?

foal8.jpg

No, dun is not a type of buckskin. A buckskin is a black + an agouti gene + a dilute/cream gene. The black + agouti makes a bay..the agouti gene pulls the color out to the points where it is concentrated (the legs, mane/tail, ears). The dilute gene lightens the body color to cream or gold.

The Dun gene is a gene itself.... The Dun gene has factors that include striping ont he legs, dorsal stripe, etc. A red dun is created with the addition of the dun gene to a chestnut. There is also the possibility of a bay dun...or bay + dun gene, often causing a dorsal stripe and a yellowing of body color. Dun on black is what causes a Grullo (or Grulla) colored horse.

And my reasons for being upset with the stallion owner go on and on. Too much for a Jesse + headache to type.

Well, I know that dun are shown on the buckskin circuit and can be registered as such, and I know a lot of buckskin have dun genes somewhere along the line but if a parent isn't a dun - you can't have a dun foal, from what I am reading.

So, he's likely a red roan paint or maybe a cremella paint? or palomino paint.

He's so cute! I can't wait to see what his color does actually!

A friend of mine has raised roans and came to look at ''the baby'' today and said he's ''definitely not a red roan''.

The foal cannot be a Cremello either. A Cremello is a double dilute...which means they have to recieve a cream gene from each parent. It is possible to get oen from mum in this care but the father is a red roan paint, and obviously doesn't have a cream gene to throw.

I'm thinking maybe Palomino but honestly I have no idea.

Anda true buckskin does not have a dorsal stripe....however they're often registered incorrectly by people who don't know the difference.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Well, I know that dun are shown on the buckskin circuit and can be registered as such, and I know a lot of buckskin have dun genes somewhere along the line but if a parent isn't a dun - you can't have a dun foal, from what I am reading.

So, he's likely a red roan paint or maybe a cremella paint? or palomino paint.

He's so cute! I can't wait to see what his color does actually!

Maybe it's a palomino paint?! that would be cool.

I am horrible with genetics tho.... and I think the registration is that if there is genetically the breed...... like regardless of what he turns out - this baby COULD be shown on the buckskin circuit for the rainbow futurity thing because of his mom, and on the paint circuit because of his dad. My chestnut QH can actually go to the palomino shows cause his father is a chocolate palomino.

Not knowing much about foal colors and stuff - I can't say much but.... couldn't he still be a very light buttermilk buckskin? he's so creamy colored. I wonder if his mane might turn darker? I'd be so thrilled for you if he does!

I do know that a buckskin doesn't have a stripe - that's a dun.

I don't know the sire and dam pedigree so I can't tell much anyhow LOL!

I just know he's SO cute and I am SO happy for you! Please keep posting pictures of him as he grows... you know I love seeing him and his mama!

No I think not...his legs are so incredibly light...not the slightest hint of dark anywhere on this baby. I think bay or buckskin is kind of out of the question.

I don't see any white spots on him yet. Perhaps the possibility of a tiny tiny splash under the left side of his gut. Compared to the white on his face...I don't see any white. But My horse friend's mum raised paints for a short time... he said sometiems with lighter foals the spots just randomly appear later. I kidn of doubt this one though.

I guess he does kind of look like a creamsicle... A creamsicle that likes to sleep in poop.

:tantrum: I want him to be a buttermilk buckskin paint dangit!!!

or a palomino paint! :biggrin2:I love pals. My SIL and neighbor were the pres and sec of the Indiana Pal Assoc at one time. Kota's daddy is Chocolate, sister is copper and a zillion other related just pals and chestnut horses...

MORE PICS!!! :X

please? :D

Well I wanted a golden buckskin paint dangit and I didn't get one either!!

More pics laaaaater. If I take anymore they'll jsut be copies of the ones I already took. They don't do much in their stall and Alero usually blocks my view of him anyways. I won't be turning them out for another few days either. So when I introduce baby to the outside big world, then we'll get lots of pictures.

-JAK

Latest posts

Back