Baby rabbits dying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annika

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm hoping somebody can shed some light. This is a bit long, I apologise in advance.
We had a litter of very healthy, good sized Flemish Giant kits. At 11 weeks old, one by one they started to become lethargic and stopped eating, death occurred about 24 hours after onset. No diarrhoea or bloating, no swelling or visible infection anywhere. Seemingly out of the blue! No 2 kits showed signs at the same time, it was like they were queuing for it. We had them tested for parasites but nothing was found. The vet suggested it might be environmental so we switched the water supply from ordinary tap water to cool boiled tap water. Not all kits died by the way, 4 out of 9 were completely unaffected, same as all the adults.
Fast forward 2 months, we now have the identical problem with another litter. Kits are 7 weeks old and as of today, 2 out of 5 are left.
They are in ground hutches on grass, we feed oats and greens, also fresh herbs like parsley and oregano.
Would anyone have any pointers please?
Thank you

At this point, I would strongly suggest you have a necropsy done. If you have a rabbit savvy vet, check to see if he/she can do it, or if they must send it somewhere. It can be frustrating trying to figure out what’s wrong and I’d hate to see you lose any more.

Latest posts

Back