Baby rabbits are not growing and their eyes are not opening !

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/3 cup pellets a day , and the babies are starting to open their eyes

She's not getting enough pellets/nuggets then. Mother rabbits as soon as they give birth, should have their pellets gradually increased to unlimited(or close to) amounts over that first week. They need lots of nutrition for nursing and usually end up eating 3-4 times their usual amount of pellets to accomplish this. So 1/3 cup pellets a day for a nursing doe is absolutely not enough, and could possibly be the root cause for the babies slow growth and development as mom isn't getting enough protein, calcium, and nutrients to pass onto the babies for good growth. So I would increase the mom's pellet amounts immediately, either to unlimited pellets, or close to that amount, and also continue to free feed the orchard grass.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

If the nuggets you are using now are one of the low protein adult Excel nuggets that has lower than 16% protein, then instead of increasing those I would suggest buying the junior nuggets or another good quality 16% protein pellet with alfalfa/lucerne as the first ingredient, and using those to increase her pellet amount. She needs the higher protein and calcium content from a junior pellet. Because the sudden increase in pellets could cause possible digestive upset, it's also good to keep a close eye on her poop for any changes.

She's not getting enough pellets/nuggets then. Mother rabbits as soon as they give birth, should have their pellets gradually increased to unlimited(or close to) amounts over that first week. They need lots of nutrition for nursing and usually end up eating 3-4 times their usual amount of pellets to accomplish this. So 1/3 cup pellets a day for a nursing doe is absolutely not enough, and could possibly be the root cause for the babies slow growth and development as mom isn't getting enough protein, calcium, and nutrients to pass onto the babies for good growth. So I would increase the mom's pellet amounts immediately, either to unlimited pellets, or close to that amount, and also continue to free feed the orchard grass.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

If the nuggets you are using now are one of the low protein adult Excel nuggets that has lower than 16% protein, then instead of increasing those I would suggest buying the junior nuggets or another good quality 16% protein pellet with alfalfa/lucerne as the first ingredient, and using those to increase her pellet amount. She needs the higher protein and calcium content from a junior pellet. Because the sudden increase in pellets could cause possible digestive upset, it's also good to keep a close eye on her poop for any changes.
They are the 16 + weeks

All those special varieties of pellets are imho just clever marketing. As long as they are not junk food muesli or industrial feed with added antibiotica it doesn't matter which pellets.
2% more or less of this or that doesn't matter in reality (if your prime goal is not butchering weight at 10 weeks) , since the amount of what they eat isn't consistent anyway. I would give the doe at least 3 times the normal amount, so that there's some leftz in the bowl for the kits to nibble on. Nursing does usually don't get fat, no matter what.

Latest posts

Back