Baby rabbit with a big head

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GigiRabbits

Reaction score
Hello!

So I have three very young rabbits (4-ish days old), and I noticed that one of the babies has a noticeably larger head in comparison to her body than the other 2 do. I found a pic from here: Saving Baby Rabbits Found Cold and drew on it for reference. The other two have heads roughly that big in proportion to their bodies, but the third one has a head that goes to the pink on the photo that I attached. I also noticed that she is much worse at suckling, and tends to try to chew the nipple instead! Although today she did start properly suckling at the end... Anyways, should it be a concern that she has such a big head? Her ears are the same size in proportion to her head as the other bunnies' ears, but it just seems like her body is a bit too little for her head! Anyhow, she's growing well, getting some fur, pooping and peeing well, etc. So please let me know! Thank you!
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 10.23.05 AM.png

Hello!

So I have three very young rabbits (4-ish days old), and I noticed that one of the babies has a noticeably larger head in comparison to her body than the other 2 do. I found a pic from here: Saving Baby Rabbits Found Cold and drew on it for reference. The other two have heads roughly that big in proportion to their bodies, but the third one has a head that goes to the pink on the photo that I attached. I also noticed that she is much worse at suckling, and tends to try to chew the nipple instead! Although today she did start properly suckling at the end... Anyways, should it be a concern that she has such a big head? Her ears are the same size in proportion to her head as the other bunnies' ears, but it just seems like her body is a bit too little for her head! Anyhow, she's growing well, getting some fur, pooping and peeing well, etc. So please let me know! Thank you!
View attachment 54513
Can you post some actual photo of your rabbits so we can compare

It could just be a normal thing as not all kits in a litter will turn out exactly the same. It can vary depending on the genetics that get passed down. Or the kit could have a birth defect, or possibly birthing trauma.

Not a whole lot you can do besides monitor it's eating, pooping, and urination. Baby rabbits can be difficult to hand raise because there are so many issues that can arise. Just do the best you can and hopefully it's something that is a non issue, or is something it can survive.

Ok, I'll try to do that later.....sorry my computer has been acting up so that's why I couldn't post any real photos. But I will definitely try!!

Also thank you @JBun! Because her behaviour is completely normal I don't think that it is too much of an issue, but I am praying that she will be completely healthy! :)

Latest posts

Back