Baby rabbit not opening eyes ! Eye infection ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreo and cookie <3

Reaction score
Hello ! My 6 months old rabbit gave birth to 7 little babies. They are all doing fine and today they are 10 days old. 5 of them have both their eyes opened but two of them doesn't. I check those two and one seems pretty fine , it's just a matter of time , i read they can open their eyes at 10 , 11 and 12 days old. But the other one seems weird , i can see a very very tiny bit of his eyes , it's like it's trying to open but it can't , there is a sort of crust around his eyes. Maybe the kit cannot open because of the crust. There was a pretty big grey thing like attached to his eyes, i succesfully removed it but i'm scared for the crust. If anyone has a solution or any idea of what must i do ?

The general rule is 10-14 days old when they’re eyes open. By day 14 if I have a kit whose eyes aren’t open I will gently wipe the eye slit with a warm wet rag and then gently work it open.

One had a bit more crust today so i took cotton buds , dip it in warm water and applied it gently to the eye to remove the crust. I used a very soft cloth for babies to wipe his eyes but i didn't try to open his eyes. It seems like most of the crust has gone not all the crust tho. I also did it with the other one as he seems to have a little crust too. When i did with him i suddenly saw a small movement with his eyes , usually his eyes is firmly closed , not moving at all but i was shocked to see a sudden small movement. Can i use coconut oil instead of the salt solution ? I read that coconut oil might work as well. Haven't try it yet. Thank you for your responses and for the tips !

Not sure about coconut oil. A sterile Saline wash would be better. If the crusting comes back they might have an infection and you’d need to see a vet. In the past we used a prescription eye ointment for that...or terramycin.

Latest posts

Back