baby rabbit fell out of nest!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landyn

Reaction score
My 4 day year old kit (he’s the runt) had been missing when I went to go check on them so I moved some stuff around and found him on the cold floor (still alive) , he was still alive so I heated up a towel put him in there for only 2 minutes because the heat started wearing off and I put him back in the nest box , will he be okay?

That episode shouldn't be a problem when he's back with his siblings and moving. It's important that he keeps warm, their digestion doesn't work when chilled.

What you can do to give him a chance to catch up is to take 3 or four of the fattest kits out of the nest ( into a towel nest in a high bucket, or so) for one feeding time, so he has less competition at the teats. Normally they feed around dusk and dawn, return the kits when you're sure the doe is done feeding. If the rest is all the same size I would repeat that with 3 other kits 2 meals later. One or two full tummys can really make a huge difference.
The fatter kits can miss one out of 4 meals without any problem.

Latest posts

Back