Baby Rabbit Eye Problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trini1000

Reaction score
My bunny(Lashes)had babies on the 01.06.2012. All of their eyes have opened except for one kitt (only one of his eyes opened fully)while the other is still closed and covered in yellowish mucus. The eyelid also seems distorted/wavy as opposed to being just a line.

Is there something I can do to help out---or is this a sign of sickness? Another baby (his sibling) has a similar issue but his eye is just shut with no mucus.

They were born in Jan and eyes not open? You can wash then with a warm damp rag but I def. Would see a vet. Sounds like infection and could. Queen them to lose the eyes.

Just realized the date is backwards.... 6-1 not 1-6 lol.... so they are about 17 days ... I tho k the eyes should still be open by now. Try the wet rag. Maybe someone else has had this before and knows what could help more.

I'd wipe the eyes with warm water and a washcloth three of four times a day. The yellow stuff is an infection, and can lead to blindness. With our barn kittens, we can give them amoxicyllin..which is NOT safe for bunnies. I know some breeders say to keep them wiped off, and apply Neosporin (regular, not the pain relief one) on the outside of the eyelids. If it were mine, I'd take it to the vet and get it over with.

Nope no mucus, and only a little crust. The eyelid seems a little swollen but is open now. I wiped with some warm water and cloth and he seemed none the worst (even fell asleep!). I'll keep checking him daily--and let you all know his progress

Checked him this morning-----the eye is more visible(but the eyelid is still a little wavy). A little bit of crust (less than yesterday). The other one seems normal. Does anybody know what could be the cause?

Rabbits are in suspended cages outdoors with adequate roofing. Sides of the shed are open to allow better ventilation. Ground is dirt-cleaned once a week.

sound like you still infection do as said warm water and a clean rag wipe all crust away then take triple antibiotic sauve you get at the store put a little of it in the eye that is crusty. and make sure under the upper lit you clean and get the wave stuff out. Also once you do that make sure you close the eye and rub lightly so the anti biotic sauve get all around inthe eye.

I know some are going to say not to do this but I came home from PA and the cat my husband daughter had had kittens she asked what could be done I told her to use a warm water and a clean rag but she didn't do this so whan I came home I did this and I still was getting the crusty stuff well we had triple antibiotic sauve and I thought well I reckon all it could do is make it blind but I was going to take the chance. with in a day the eye looking better and in two day it was good no crusty stuff and the eye was good coud see out of it and all.

Do what I say and the eye will be good.

Rhayden

Keep watching the eye. Now that its open it should be okay. Maybe something in the nestbox irritated the eye

Latest posts

Back