Baby rabbit care - How many people are able to handle the babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gelliebean

Reaction score
We are starting a rescue for feral rabbits. We know we will be taking in a lot of pregnant bunnies. Because we have volunteers coming by to care for the rabbits, I don't think it would be a good idea for all of them to handle the babies. We are being advised by other rescues, but because they are just teams of a couple of folks they have never run into the issue of too many people touching the babies.

What would you say is the max amount of people that can handle the babies? I plan to be the person out there the most, but because I also work full time I will obviously need help from a few folks to do feeding and other chores.

The number of people that handle/touch them shouldn't be an issue, just everyone knowing proper handling and proper cleanliness, are the important issues. Baby bunnies are very squirmy and can be dropped and injured easily. For daily routine checks, where they actually have to be picked up and their bum/belly looked at, floor based handling over a soft surface is always best. And then proper disinfection before handling and between handling/touching, other adults or batches of baby rabbits. Especially now, with the new rhd risks on our continent. Those are the main points I would stress.

Latest posts

Back