Baby Quail Care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killertheturtle

Reaction score
Hi,
A friend of mine (who I work with) found a baby quail (well her mom found it) on Wednesday. We read that baby quails are self sufficient right after hatching (as in they can feed and water themselves, but not necessarily protect themselves). So we have been feeding it KMR (as instructed by a vet) every hour (we do not have to force it, the quail takes it willingly) and have been leaving finch seeds in the box (that the quail eats sometimes).
The quail is with me for the weekend and is in a box (I tried an aquarium, but the glass seemed to stress it out, as it kept running into it) and it has a heating pad as well as a glove filled with warm water wrapped in a sock.
I am just concerned about tonight. Should I wake up to feed it or just leave the seeds and heating pad?

Also, we made the mistake of handling it before we read that we should not. The quail will actually run towards our hands and will gladly fall asleep in our warm palms. So one of us is likely going to keep it (I really want it, but my friend found it first, so I'll let her decide). I have already read about caring for adult quails, but any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Quail should not be fed KMR!!
They need a chick crumb (chicken or turkey starter/crumb), in a small dish and a suitable water feeder. Aswell as a small heat lamp in a brooder. They should readily take the chick crumb but should NOT be getting KMR! They can also have browse (grasses and weeds) available.
It is fine the handle them and them running under your hand is normal - they see you as the mum.

Luv-bunniz wrote:
Quail should not be fed KMR!!
They need a chick crumb (chicken or turkey starter/crumb), in a small dish and a suitable water feeder. Aswell as a small heat lamp in a brooder. They should readily take the chick crumb but should NOT be getting KMR! They can also have browse (grasses and weeds) available.
It is fine the handle them and them running under your hand is normal - they see you as the mum.

What is so bad about KMR? I'm not doubting you or anything, I don't know much about birds at all.
Does Petsmart/Petco sell the starter crumb food you are talking about? I crushed up the Kaytee Exact Cockatiel pellets I give my cockatiels, but I haven't seen the quail eat on his own. I'm worried he is dependent on us feeding him every hour. Do you think that is possible?

Why would a vet say to give milk to a baby bird? They're not mammals. Also since quail are born precocious like other baby fowl (chickens, ducks, etc.) they do not need regurgitated or liquified food. They can generally eat what their parents eat and run along after their parents. It's a survival strategy.

We raised baby quail in a high school biology class. I'm not sure exactly what they were fed, some kind of small-ground bird food. I think it's the same as what baby chickens and ducks eat- try a local feed store. They need warmth from an incubator light like chicks too.

Do contact a wildlife rehabber. They could raise it so that it could be released. The close bond with humans does not have to continue.

Edit: Cockatiels and other parrot types have a very different diet from fowl. I would go to a feed store and get more appropriate food. Bird food is not all equal. Also, he should not be dependant on you feeding him, he just likes the attention. He'll eat on his own when he has the proper food.

Some birds produce a milk-like substance from their crops (in the neck). Even the father does this. This is fed to very young birds. I don't know what you should be doing for the baby quail, but I just wanted to add this.

Yup, but birds with precocious young don't do that. Thank goodness too because farming them would be a pain in the butt.:)

I would think KMR would be too different to simulate that too, but I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Back